upgrade gears on 4cyl. with bigger tires?

rtoney9

I am hoping to put 32-33 inch tires on my 95 YJ when my lift goes on. Is it necessary to upgrade my gears with these larger tires? The owner's manual says that max tire size, for my engine, is near 30". If so, how much will it run me and what size gears are the best to put in it.

Also, I read that if you have a hard top jeep,when lifting it, you shoud use an extreme duty lift. I do not do any serious off-roading, but I do come across some tough terrain during hunting season. Is this true?

[addsig]

I'm new to this message board, but I've got a lot of experience with my '95 YJ 4-banger. All I can say is, becareful what you buy. The 4 cyl. engine is a decent little engine, but there's not a ton of power cranking out of it. If you decide to buy gears, don't mess around, go right for the 4.88's. Putting on bigger tires will make your jeep bog down at highway speeds and up hills (at 40mph and faster). 31" tires won't cause too much bog, but anything bigger than that will. If you're going to buy bigger tires and a lift, go with 33x12.50 tires (knowing you'll be regearing). If you are going to spend money on your rig, spend it once. You may pay a little more, but buying the right stuff the frist time will save you money and headaches down the road. If you want some more info on how much stuff costs, and what works and what does'nt, check out my little website at www.drewfuss.alloffroad.com and shoot me an email.[addsig]

Back