Anyone use 33'' tires for mostly pavement use?

ShakenBake

I am wondering if 33 '' tires are good for my jeep. I have a 1981 cj7, and I am currently daily driving it. I also have like 4 or so inches of lift on it and BFGoodrich A/T 33'' tires, is it ok to do this to your jeep for daily driving and the occasional off-roading or will it ruin my drive terrain?

Thank

If you're happy with the amount of power you have, and the tire isn't making contact with your Jeep then you'll be fine. I had your setup for years.

The problems you generally face when going "too big" are that you have no power at takeoff, and no top end (this is fixed by regearing).
The other problem is that when you offroading or while making a sharp turn, your tire will make contact with your Jeep - either hitting the frame when turning, or hitting the fender when flexed out. These can be fixed with more lift, or more backspacing, depending on the problem.

I agree with Terry. Most lifted Jeeps I know with big tires are daily drivers and only wheeled at most once or twice a month. My cousin has had his 2006 TJ with 38" super swampers for about 5 years and loves it as his daily driver but he did regear to accomidate the tires.

Since you are already running 33s, the issue of clearance and acceleration are easy to evaluate just by driving and turning the wheel. Also, do a few stop tests to make sure the brakes are not over taxed.

Assuming you are not rubbing tires or overly lugging the engine, running the 33s should not hurt anything. Just remember, you took a relatively unstable vehicle and lifted it with a lift and tires, so unless you went with an amazing lift system, your CG is now higher and the Jeep may be more unstable, so drive accordingly.

a month later i'm guessing you figured out what you like about your 33's. im reading your question and wondering if you are talking about your jeep breaking somewhere underneath with your jeep pushing 33's? like axles, drive shaft, transmission, transfer case, or anything else, now or over time?

Back