Upgrade time! Some questions...

Jason4x4

So I've been putting together an idea of what I'd like to do with my TJ. For now, my upgrade list includes:

Rubicon Express 2" Economy lift
JKS quick swaybar disconnects
15x10" MT Classic II wheels
31" BFG Mud Terrain KO tires
Rubicon OEM-style rocker panel guards
Carr Rotabar light bar/lights of some sort
Smittybilt SRC front bumper
Some kind of winch

So as you can see, basically mild upgrades for better off-road performance and a little bit of cosmetic enhancement thrown in for good mix.

I bit the bullet and got started today by ordering the RE 2" lift from Quadratec. I read through the installation PDF on Quadratec's site. It says you can remove the springs by either using a spring compressor or disconnecting the sway bar/track bar and jacking the Jeep up enough so the axle hangs down so far the springs just sort of fall out. Which way would be easier?? I can rent a spring compressor from AutoZone if that would work better. It also says to "remove the stock shocks" and install the ones in the kit, but it never elaborates on what is involved in that procedure. Can someone fill me in on what I'd be looking at if I tried to do this myself?

Also, I have the Rubicon springs on my TJ so I guess with this kit installed I would have a total of 2.5" of suspension lift. Is this enough that I would need to worry about drivetrain components as far as like the driveshaft angle and things of that nature that can be affected by lifting a vehicle?

Also, a quick question about the Rubicon OEM rocker panel guards - do they provide any more protection than say the Bushwhacker ABS plastic replica ones would?? I'm just trying to decide if it's really worth paying $200+ for the actual OEM one's versus like $60-70 for the plastic ones. For that matter, anybody have an OEM set you'd like to get rid of?? ;) In case you're wondering why I'm bothering, I think just they look better than the non-Rubi rock guard along the rocker right behind the front flares.

It'll probably be a few weeks before I'll have time to get around to installing the lift, but I'll be sure to post some pics when it's done.

Either is fine, you may find it easier to get them out by dropping the axle low, and then putting them back in with the compressers because with the spacers in there they'll be harder to get back in.

2.5" you should be fine with your driveline. But you may want to order a transfercase lowering kit jsut in case, so that if you do have vibes you can put that on. Otherwise just send it back. You don't seem like you're at the point for an SYE and CV shaft, but that is a very good option.

The rubicon rocker guards, watch eBay or something, don't pay that much for those pieces of crap. If you're gonna spend that kinda money, get soemthing good.

Also, get 15x8's for those tires, not 15x10's.

Either is fine, you may find it easier to get them out by dropping the axle low, and then putting them back in with the compressers because with the spacers in there they'll be harder to get back in.

2.5" you should be fine with your driveline. But you may want to order a transfercase lowering kit jsut in case, so that if you do have vibes you can put that on. Otherwise just send it back. You don't seem like you're at the point for an SYE and CV shaft, but that is a very good option.

The rubicon rocker guards, watch eBay or something, don't pay that much for those pieces of crap. If you're gonna spend that kinda money, get soemthing good.

Also, get 15x8's for those tires, not 15x10's.

Thanks for the advice. May I ask why 15x8's and not 15x10s?

BTW, just ordered the Skyjacker transfer case lowering kit. Is it a good idea to install it at the same time, or should I wait and see if I have any issues with just the lift installed first?

15x8's will help hold the tire on the rim better in an offroad situation when you're aired down, and they give the tire a little better profile than 15x10's. You typically want your rim to be about two inches narrower than the cross section of your tread. a 31x10.50 tire and a 15x10 rim just don't match up well.

15x8's will help hold the tire on the rim better in an offroad situation when you're aired down, and they give the tire a little better profile than 15x10's. You typically want your rim to be about two inches narrower than the cross section of your tread. a 31x10.50 tire and a 15x10 rim just don't match up well.

:agree: ..............currupt beat me to it!! Just another opinion chiming in.

You may want to shop around for a different light bar, too. I've heard many people say the Rota-bar is crap. It rattles horribly, doesn't stay put, and shakes so bad it will even burn out bulbs when driving with the lights on. Look for a solid bar like the one I have on my YJ, and if need be, you can get light mounts that will allow the light to fold down out of the way, or do like I did and leave the swivel bolts just loose enough to fold them down when you want. I never have a problem with them not staying in place when I put them back up, either.

Back