Used coil springs or new?

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking about getting some longer springs to replace my 2" spacers. My question is, would you guys buy used springs for $125, or a new set for $260?

Coil springs don't normally wear out or fail do they?

If it were ever possible to get an honest answer as to why the used Coil springs is up for sale, i don't see why the used one would not be sufficient unless it was due to a sagging or is worn out. I would be more comfortable buying new with a warranty but if the condition of the used one is just as good i would get the used one.

coils will break and i know that from experiance. i would go new unless the used ones were cheaper. either will be better than the blocks you have.

My basic rule of thumb..."Go with what you can afford". I would rather have a bunch of old toys in the stable than one brand new shinny piece of hardware. If used springs are all the piggy bank will allow, do it. You can always buy new later if the used ones don't work out. However, what Steelheadz said, its why they are for sale that counts when selecting any used product. (Buyer Beware.) If you don’t like what you hear or see, if you have that little voice telling you to turn and walk away, by all means do it. There will be other opportunities.

If it were ever possible to get an honest answer as to why the used Coil springs is up for sale, i don't see why the used one would not be sufficient unless it was due to a sagging or is worn out. I would be more comfortable buying new with a warranty but if the condition of the used one is just as good i would get the used one.

Agreed, I would honestly go with the new set of springs. You can never go wrong with new things lol :p. Then again, if you know the used one are good enough to hold, then by all means. I guess it all depends on the usage of the vehicle. For instance, if your gonna be in mud or crawling, more than you are on pavement; I rather go with new springs. Hoped this helped :)

Here's an excerpt from the Sine Deviance book of buying car parts:

"Buy used, unless safety is at stake..."

I always buy new when it's suspension, steering, frame, braking, or fuel tank/delivery. Having one of those parts fail is a safety issue that might get you killed, and with new parts you can have more peace of mind if they're of decent quality. With used parts you really never know what you're getting until you can look at it up close or bolt it on. Take my word for it; after all, I'm still alive :D

i think i would pull fuel tank delivery as a safety of life issue and swap it with tires. tires are the number 1 thing connecting you to the road where as the fuel system, if it fails just makes your car die

boy, did i not read the date this thread was last talked about. it was in the little box beneath my response to the last thread and i fell for it.

Back