vacuum actuated front axle

lovell33w

i recently toasted the np231 out of my 90 yj and replaced it with an np242 that i found (posted in a prior thread). the 231 tc had the vacuum controller on it where as the 242 has an electronic one. so now my front axle doesn't really help me out too much as far wheelin is concerned. thought about replacing the front axle with an axle that i have that has manually locking hubs, but i'm curious about other avenues of approach. is there a way to modify/switchout the vacuum actuator with and electronic one? also, does anyone know how to manually get this type of front axle to engage and disengage? thanks

you can swap out the long side two piece shaft for a long side one piece shaft from a cherokee or tj. some cherokees had the vd and others didnt. someone here probably has teh years. youll need to put a seal inside the pumpkin, and block off the vd port. randys ring and pinion has a kit for this, or you can buy the seal and make your own plate. you can get the seal from randys or if someone around here has the number for the seal, you can go to napa or carquest or something and get it. try JU or JF for the number

You could buy or make a posi-lok system, but i dont know how that would react with your electronics.

LR

thanks for the advice, i had heard something about swapping out that part of the shaft, but it came from a not so "credible" source. i'll give it a try though, thanks

If you're running an open front differential you can engage the vacuum disconnect permanently and forget about it. Just remove the disconnect from the axle (4 bolts) and move the shift collar towards the driver's side to engage both shafts. Install the vacuum disconnect back on the axle upside down and the fork will hold the shift collar engaged. Done.

If you run a LS or locker in front I would recommend installing a cable disconnect, making the locker totally transparent onroad and there when you need it offroad. Can also be used to make a Lincoln Locker (welded diff) into a selectable locker of sorts (Poor man's selectable).

Back