valve cover

Jazz

I getting a steel valve cover from a 1979 CJ and I was wondering if it would fit in my 1983 CJ. Plus is a steel cover that much better than a plastic one.
Thanks

I don't really think that one is alot better than another. I originally had a steel one on, but it kept leaking. I found that for close to the same price as a gasket for the steel one, I could get a whole new plastic valve cover with the gasket built in.

I would think that the valve covers would be interchangeable, since they are the same engine, but don't quote me on that

Terry

The metal one is better. Metal will dissapate heat quicker than plastic. PLus is less likely to warp during extream conditions. I have also seen plastic covers cracked because they were tightened down to hard. Metal does not have these issues.

The metal one is better. Metal will dissapate heat quicker than plastic. PLus is less likely to warp during extream conditions. I have also seen plastic covers cracked because they were tightened down to hard. Metal does not have these issues.

Personally, I like aluminum valve covers. They tend to be thicker and more rigid in the bolt, gasket surface areas and consequently distribute the bolt load over the gasket. With steel you need to use spreaders to distribute the load across the gasket. just my $.02
-Tangel
[addsig]

yeah you can use a metal cover the only problem is you need to realize is that the cover will not fit pewrfectly on pre 81 jeep with 258's the passenger side is wavy as opposed to the straihgt edge thats on 81 thru 86 clyinder heads so in order to put one on you need top use a thick cover gasket and fill in the crack between the valve cover and the gasket dont knock me on this. when my plastic one cracked all along the drivers side and I needed to get home and i learned ths trick from a amc eagle guy i used it like that for 6 months with no leaks and I got the cover for only 5 bucks. so in short if your low pon cash you should do it, otherwise just get a aluminum one

[addsig]

Back