Vibration And Squeel

ERNDOG

Need Help I Have An 03 Rubicon With 4" Tera Longarm And 1" Body, 35" Tires. When I Accelarate To About 25-30mph I Get A Vibration And When I Drive Slow To About 10-20mph I Hear A Squeel But Not All The Time. I've Rotated And Balanced The Tire Again And Checked For Debri All Is Good Don't Know What Else To Do Can Anyone Help?

What have you done to set front and rear pinion angles?

What mods have you done to the transfer case? SYE?

Welcome to Jeepz.

I Didn't Install The Suspension System So I'm Not Sure What Was Done To Make It Ready For The Road.

Can't be of much help over the web if you don't know your way around the suspension and drivetrain. You may want to take it back to where you had the work done, or befriend some local jeepers or jeep club.

Well It's A Rubicon So No Mods Needed Rear Is Dana44 Don't Think I Need To Mod This Monster Unless I Go In Compition But Not Going To Happen. This Also Is My Everyday Vehicle. So Your Telling Me You Have No Info On Vibrations. Wow!

I have info, just didn't know where to go with it since you didn't know what had been done to the jeep "to make it ready for the road".

I would start by removing the front driveshaft and taking it for a test drive. This will narrow the problem down front or rear.

Then ensure caster is set correctly in the front axle.
Ensure the rear pinion angle is parallel with the transfer case rear output, making the angles of each ujoint in the rear driveshaft equal.

Your Rubi would still benefit from a CV rear driveshaft, may help eliminate all driveline vibes.

Well It's A Rubicon So No Mods Needed ...So Your Telling Me You Have No Info On Vibrations. Wow!
Your Rubicon has been modified by adding a lift kit. In some cases you have to do further modification to get rid of the vibes and other issues.
Bounty is telling you the right places to look based on the limited information. If you can give us more details we will be able to further assist you.
Most vibes of this nature are caused by poor driveshaft angles between the transfer case and axle. Since the Rubi already has a fixed yoke, then you are likely looking at bad angularity of your driveshaft (fixed by adjusting the pinion or lowering the transfer case) or a bad u-joint. If you are getting a vide and a squeal then you might want to start with the u-joint. Also look for shiny spots on your driveshaft yoke. This will tell you if your ears are hitting.
Might also help if you put some pictures up.

Thanks For Everyones Input I Think I Overlooked The Problem Before It Turns Out The Second U Joint Was Shreaded Inside The Caps, The Pin Bearings Were Ground Dust. So I'm Replacing All The U Joints Just To Be Safe. My Only Problem Is One Of Them Is Seized In Its Spot Very Hard To Get Out.

Thanks All,
Good Jeepin To Ya!

All you need is a BFH.
On second thought, do the newer Jeeps have the plastic you have to melt out like the Chevrolet's? Look and see if it has a metal clip on it and you'll know.

Last edited:
Well It's A Rubicon So No Mods Needed Rear Is Dana44

OK.... unless you never use the 4lo and lock the rear axle, you will snap a rear axle faster than you can say shallow grave. Rubi rear axles we not designed with 35" tires in mind. yes you can run them on the street with out a problem for years, once you put that tire and axle combo into a situation where there is excessive torque applied to the shaft in any direction.. snap.

To add, the Rubi front axle is nothing more than a D30 with larger ring gear and a 30 spline D44 carrier and diff.

Good Luck with your vibe issues, prematurly worn Ujoints usually will indicate another issue. Like mentioned drive shaft angle. If able, you can adjust your control arm lengths to properly set your pinion angle, also, even thought the Rubis are fixed yoke, they can still benefit from a after market shaft that removed the balancer. this will add a couple of inches to your drive shaft thus improving the angle of the shaft.

I Have An 03 Rubicon With 4" Tera Longarm And 1" Body, 35" Tires. When I Accelarate To About 25-30mph I Get A Vibration And When I Drive Slow To About 10-20mph I Hear A Squeel But Not All The Time. I've Rotated And Balanced The Tire Again And Checked For Debri All Is Good Don't Know What Else To Do Can Anyone Help?

Did the problem start RIGHT AFTER you installed the lift? If so, I would bet all my savings (all $7.42 of them! :p ) that your problem is the drive shaft angle. I installed a RE 4" lift on my YJ along with a Woody shaft and AA SYE kit, and the vibrations REALLY shook the Jeep at 30~35 mph (I thought the rig would come apart from the vibes!). This all ended when I changed the pinion angle on the rear to match the DS; now I have a very slight vibration that you have to pay attention to feel or you'll just think it's the engine's vibration.

When I Drive Slow To About 10-20mph I Hear A Squeel But Not All The Time.

Is the squeel like a rubber squeel or is it a different kind of vibration? In my case, I got a totally different vibration when slowing down that "could" be called a squeel... The reason is that under load, there is some spring warping, and that changes the angles of the driveshaft, changing the feel of the vibes.

Well It's A Rubicon So No Mods Needed Rear Is Dana44 Don't Think I Need To Mod This Monster Unless I Go In Compition But Not Going To Happen. This Also Is My Everyday Vehicle.

The mod to the rear diff is not that you will change out the rear axle, but just to rotate it. Typically, one mod will lead to another, and that one to another and so on... One mod by itself is ussually not enough.

For next time, the more information you give, the better the advice you will get. If you do not know or understand what another member is explaining, just say so and I am sure someone will explain it in a more detailed way, as they have done for me in the past. And if you do not know how to explain something, as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words! Just take a photo and post it.

By the way, this is my drive shaft angles before the fix:

DSC09878-1.jpg

And this is how it looks now:

DSC02409-1.jpg

I hope all this helps.

Felipe

PS: What's up with capitalizing EVERY word but not using a single period???

Back