vibration question

randy2kxj

a few weeks ago i started to notice a vibration coming from my 2000 xj while i was sitting at red lights. i was not sure what it was so i quick shut it down and started it again. i noticed that as i moved the vehicle into park the vibration stopped. so i drove till i got to the next red light and it started vibrating again. i put it in nuetral and the vibration stopped. i am assuming it is probably the drive shaft and the yoke before the rear diff. is there anything i should look for on either to try and find the vibration. it is kinda a hard vibration and i dont think it is a good thing. i did do the pinion oil seal about two months ago, might i have done something wrong while putting in the new seal?

Sound's to me that the Vibration could Either be coming from the Engine or Transmission not the Driveshaft or yoke. Granted that i didn't mis-understood your post that you were at a stop, meaning, standstill at an idle. so my question is, does it feel like a misfire on the engine or does it feel like the transmission wants to launch forward when the vibration occurs?

Ya, not the driveshaft or ujoints if it is vibrating when stopped.

Could be a busted transmission or motor mount, or both. Could also be a loose exhaust.

the trans does not feel like it wants to lurch foward. i know the motor mounts are good so that is ruled out. it is also not mis fireing. i will check the exhaust tonite when i change the oil. hopefully it is just something dumb like that.

well i got under her today and i think it is the exhaust. i also think i need a new one because of the holes in the ends and the flange is a bit leaky as well. oh well no big prob, maybe a borla or something will be a good swap

I've been having the same problem with my 95 GCL. It vibrates and shakes the car like its about to stall. I Changed the fuel filter and that didnt fix it. I changed the Idle Control Valve and that didnt fix it. I poured a bunch of injector cleaner in it and that helped a little but after that tank of gas was done it started again. I was talking to a guy who had been a mechanic for 25+ years and he thinks it sounds like a leaky vacumm line so thats my next stop. I will let you know if there is any positive results.

Last edited:
Back