Wanted thornbirds and wheels for my YJ

jomeza

I am looking for 4 or 5 Thornbirds 39 or smaller (but not as small as 35's) with 16 or bigger aluminum Wheels. I am in California. Will pay shipping for a reasonable distance.

Let me know at realjeeps@rescueteam.com

Thanks.
-JIM[addsig]

Thornbirds are made by a place here in Unicoi County Tennessee by Specility Tire Company. I have been trying to find a way to buy them here for a few weeks now. The folks that work there can buy one set a year at cost less than 50% so I hear. How ever I have not been able to find anyone willing to buy and sell me a set as of yet. Tug[addsig]

Dude thornbirds suck major. There is a reason they are called thornturds. Total waste of money. Granted they look cool but thats it, its all show. Very poor performing tire on any off road situation and LOUD on the road...not to mention they will wear very fast. Get yourself some MTR's or even some AT's would be better than thornturds.[addsig]

Ok. Tug, ray and all of you, please help me to find the right tire.

I have been told for a friend that the Swampers as the TSL and the Boggers are a very good tire for mud or rocks but will wear ver very fast. I have been looking for information and rating for tires, and it seems to be true. Then i found a web site from a dude analysing the thornbirds, boggers and swampers and he mentiones that boggers are too loud (100+ decibels at 45 mph) The swampers are good, but will wear very fast either. And the Thornbirds were suposted to be the best of all three lasting longer, and not that loud.

I have a 4.0 Wrangler with Dana 44 rear, Procomp 5.5" CSC, and so on. But to tell the truth, i have never been offroad. I use my YJ almost 100% on the road. I love the look of the Boggers, but i don't want to spend $1000+ in a 20,000 lasting tires. You are experts. I am long away of being a pure blood-Rock crawler/Mudder.

So, give me advise!

Thanks.
-JIM :p

edited by: jomeza, Apr 24, 2003 - 10:18 PM[addsig]

You do have some good points there though but I have to ask....why swampers? Why if you are not going offroad? There is no reason to spend that much money for OFF ROAD tires only to wear them out on the road. If looks are all you are going for then I guess thornbirds are ok. Yes Boggers are very loud and will wear quickly and so will the TSL's. The thornbirds are still loud and will still wear fast but probably less than the other swampers. If you are wanting a big tire for a show jeep by all means get the thornbirds. I still think some 37" BFG MT's or Goodyear MTR's would be better...and last longer too. Plus if you decided to go offroad, there wouldn't be much you couldn't go through hehe.[addsig]

...not to mention that the thornbirds will lose their grip easily on wet roads. I've spun a Jeep or two around while cornering in the rain with thornbirds. If it's going to be on road for most of the time...go with the previously mentioned advice. Good luck.[addsig]

Yoakahoma Geplanders are of a prized standing around here. If you are in the position to buy such $$$$$ tires. tug[addsig]

Back