Web Template / Photoshop Help

Special_K

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: More evidence, that I have too much time

Dingus (or anyone):

I bought this web template and thought I'd be able to make minor mods easily and viola...I have an updated web site. However the template is in Photoshop...which I don't have. I need to tweaking the template with the appropriate photos and text...all of which exist from a former POS website. I want to update the template with the text and photos from the old website. Can you help?

Ken

Template is in Photoshop? Send me the file and I can convert it to a JPEG (or some other usable format) for you.
If it's in Photoshop, it's not exactly a "Web Template". It's more like graphics to use along with your HTML.

Send to:
mingez@gmail.com

RE: Re: RE: Re: ROBBED!

??? Sent you a reply email! I don't understand what they intend for you to do with that file.

Alot of websites are done in photoshop - typically, it will look like a screen shot of your website. They expect you to make all your changes in photoshop (edit all the text, change logos, etc.). you then "export slices" and it will cut your new site into a bunch of small jpegs.

Download a copy of photoshop elements from here (completely legal - only $99 for the whole program):
http://www.download.com/Adobe-Photoshop-Elements/3000-2204_4-10349812.html?tag=lst-0-1

enjoy

So Ken, in short, you will need Photoshop. And then, on top of that, you'll need a website editor like frontpage or dreamweaver.

Terry, the problem with that, is that all links and menus will need to be mapped, or have URL's associated with the geometrics and pics. He'll still need a program like Dreamweaver, or at the very least, a mapper.

Templates are (to me) meant for those who don't typically design websites, and you simple plug in your info. This is more involved, and usually someone who can do what you are suggesting would just build his website from scratch.

I'm not so sure about that. The majority of templates you purchase on the net these days will be in PSD file (or they probably should be). You simply open them up, and edit the text to your liking. Then you insert slices (or edit the ones that are there), changing the url's to what you'd like them to be. When you export the slices, you have the choice to export the html also (this will give you your index.html). Photoshop will create all the links, and handle the mapping / geometrics for you.

I went from frontpage / dreamweaver to notepad, and have finally ended up using photoshop, and I'll say that once you get use to it, it is the easiest of all the options. You can work in layers - pretty much just making a picture the way you want. Just hit export, and photoshop will slice everything up the way you want. It's great for making rollovers also.

Have a look at http://www.dsdhosting.com it was made with photoshop.

RE: Road noise? What road noise?

Thanks Terry & Mingez! I updated the photos and most of the text in Photoshop Elements but Elements would only let me export to picture files (JPG, GIF, etc.) not HTML. :x Am I missing something? Can I convert from Elements to HTML?

I think Adobe just wants me to dish out $1300 for Creative Suite 2. Ain't gonna do it. Aiiiin't gooonnnna do it! :p :p :p <there, that'll tick 'em off>

RE: 4.0 Throttle Body on a 2.5 myth???

Cool Thread. I love working with graphics and layers. I'm going to further my education in web design for my bachelors. I practice alot at home with graphics and have just started tutorials for photoshop to build websites. I want to learn more languages too, javascript is my summer at home project. Hope you get it straight Special K!

P.S. What is a good web building software these days, anyone? Don't mean to hijack. I have frontpage. I used to have homesite but I am not sure I have the disc anymore. Dreamweaver I don't have but have heard of it. I have a friend who builds in frontpage and uploads her stuff through an ftp server (I think) to the site she maintains.

Much to learn!
Lady

terrymason said:
I'm not so sure about that. The majority of templates you purchase on the net these days will be in PSD file (or they probably should be). You simply open them up, and edit the text to your liking. Then you insert slices (or edit the ones that are there), changing the url's to what you'd like them to be. When you export the slices, you have the choice to export the html also (this will give you your index.html). Photoshop will create all the links, and handle the mapping / geometrics for you.

I went from frontpage / dreamweaver to notepad, and have finally ended up using photoshop, and I'll say that once you get use to it, it is the easiest of all the options. You can work in layers - pretty much just making a picture the way you want. Just hit export, and photoshop will slice everything up the way you want. It's great for making rollovers also.

Have a look at http://www.dsdhosting.com it was made with photoshop.

Hey, Terry's in IT and built this site. He outta know!

THANKS for the 411 Terry! I've never tried exporting html files out of Photoshop. And as far as mapping and attaching URL's, how do you do that? I'd really be interested in that. I HATE Dreamweaver. H-A-T-E. And Frontpage is microsoft, therefore, evil.

If you know of a tutorial in mapping (within photoshop), hook me up, I'm frothing at the mouth now cause I'd LOVE to learn how. My problem with Dreamweaver is that it's not intuitive interms of the way it layers and attaches URLs, etc. I know Photoshop quite well, so the thought of being able to use it in such a way makes me want to just start building. I'm surprised I've never heard of doing that!

I updated the photos and most of the text in Photoshop Elements but Elements would only let me export to picture files (JPG, GIF, etc.) not HTML.
How are you updating the elements? What program are you using. My guess there's something proprietary in there that isn't allowing you to edit the way you want to. You may have to get Photoshop.

vinal top cleaners

LadyJeepFreak wrote:

P.S. What is a good web building software these days, anyone?

Hi-Ya LJF.

You might take a look at the "Hot Dog Pro" web authoring software suite.

The "Hot Dog Pro" homepage is located here:

http://www.sausage.com/products.html

I consider myself to be a novice as regards web authoring, but I did use earlier versions of the Hot Dog Pro suite for the two years preceding my retirement. I have since lost interest in web page building, but the HD-Pro suite worked well for me.

Plus ... I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night -- and if I continue ticking-off Mrs. Gadget, I might have to stay there a few more nights too. :lol:

Anyway ... I found the HD-Pro suite to be reasonably priced in terms of the capabilities of the main program and the many included and/or the available "helper" utilities.

Again -- the opinion expressed above is that of a novice, but that opinion is offered for whatever it might be worth.

Regards,

HTML Gadget

Thank you kind Gadget. I have marked that link and will def check it out! You are awesome! Hope you don't have to stay at the hotel very long! lol

lady

RE: New Jeep owner--- stuck @ 2000rpms...

mingez,
I had never heard of mapping before you mentioned it, but I believe I've puzzled it out (when you use adobe you have to bend to their terminology).

With photoshop, you create a webpage the way you'd like it (similar to drawing a picture). You input test into your photo, and have several "layers" (each object would be a layer, so you can go back and tweak each object seperatly). Layers are very neat, you can do things like make a layer partially transparent. After you have the look of the website down, you would need to add your links, rollovers, and that stuff. To do this, you will add what is called a slice. You simply insert a slice, and choose html for the type. At the bottom of the screen there will be a url field where you put in the page you'd like to link to. I'll install elements here at work and post back on how to create a html slice.

When you export the html, you will see that you have a table full of images, and also, you'll have the mapping (a bunch of html gibberish that tells where your links are). I think that's what you mean mingez

I just found this site, it looks pretty good - http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/

RE: Motor mounts and Clifford header

Thanks Terry, I actually figured it out the mapping portion out. Found a tutorial on that too!

Mapping is a fancy term indicating that a given area, which the computer uses coordinates, instead of a given element, has a URL associated it. So you have an image, but you can draw exactly where on that image your cursor turns into a hand to select the URL. Same for rollovers. It's great, and simple. I'm glad Ken posted this, now my website's gonna be kick arse!

Again, all of the advanced stuff is in Adobe Image Ready, which you can switch to while in PHotoshop.

Here'e the mapping tutorial: http://feigned.net/tuts/?p=40

Back