Weber Carbs

allabs5150

I have a 79 cj 7 258ci with a carter bbd 2bbl carb, after driving for 15 -20 minutes of continous non-stop driving the jeep starts to seem as though it is flooding itself, or actually not getting enough fuel. The more I push the throttle down the worse it gets until it just stops running, after letting it sit for a while it starts a drives decent till the problem starts again. Well the other day it did this and as I just tried to limp the jeep to my destination,basically in 2nd gear with the throttle to the floor and only getting about a top speed of 15 mile per hour out of it. Well as i turned into my driveway it died luckily it was at night when I got out I saw a glow coming from under the jeep, the muffle was red as a coal with flames coming out of it, well being there was snow on the ground i quickly throw a few shovel load on the muffler extingishing the flames.

After talking with a few people they seem to think it was actually leaning out, so to make a long story short I was thinking of replacing the carter bbd with a weber pn# k55138.

Does anyone agree that the carb was leaning out?

What are your opinons on the webber set up?[addsig]

Although it is possible to get the stock carter bbd to behave normally, it is generally not worth the time and constant fiddling...

I have the same setup and installing the webber was like a night-and-day difference.

Performance was better, mileage was better, it idles smooth now, and looks dead sexy compared to that icky looking air filter assembly and maze of vacuum hoses that makes up the carter bbd.

Of course being a carburator, it can still be hard to start sometimes on cold days, and my particular carburator still "bogs out" if i gun the throttle before the engine has completely warmed up.

Those can be fixed by just spending the time to adjust the carb, and guess what? All of the adjustment screws are easy to get at without removing the air filter!

The only thing you gotta watch out for is local emissions regulations. I noticed that its posted that it is not legal for highway use in california.

If you have a bit more $$$ to spend you might also wanna look at installing a throttle body fuel injector. I hear they are way more stable, but i have no idea how good they stack up next to a weber as far as performacnce (no i'm not talking about the mopar MPI)[addsig]

Are weber carbs hard to install yourself?I still have the orignal carb in my 87'YJ 258.It gives problems like you described.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I never have installed a weber myself, although I plan on installing the one I have on order this weekend, I have spoke with a few people who have installed them and they sad it was a fairly simple install.[addsig]

the webers are not hard to install at all just make sure that you buy everything that you need as the factory air cleaner will not work without and adaptor. make sure that you buy the right one also. they make two kits the larger one is only recommended for motors with some kind of performance mods. i have found that collins brothers jeep in wylie ,tx has the best pricing on the kits (collinsbrosjeep.com).[addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE> the webers are not hard to install at all just make sure that you buy everything that you need as the factory air cleaner will not work without and adaptor. make sure that you buy the right one also. they make two kits the larger one is only recommended for motors with some kind of performance mods. i have found that collins brothers jeep in wylie ,tx has the best pricing on the kits (collinsbrosjeep.com).</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Actaully, the weber is a complete kit that comes with its own air filter which is a small chrome K&N style filter. (Its really sexy looking too)

Typically you would be installing the 2bbl kit which includes the adapter to sit on the stock intake manifold.

To install a 4bbl kit you would need a new intake manifold. I think that JC Whitney has a Holley 4bbl conversion kit for the 258 that comes with a new intake manifold.[addsig]

Hey if any of you guys are thinkin about going with a Weber check these guys out

http://www.racetep.com

These guys are great i orderd mine on friday and got it today, they are very knowledgeable and have the best prices on the weber i could find[addsig]

allabs150

You said the muffler was glowing?? Are you sure that your exhaust or catalytic

converter isnt plugged up? I think the Weber would be a good upgrade along with a

fuel pressure regulator, but that doesnt sound like it's a carb. problem.

Kevin

[addsig]

Raven....thats what i was thinkin to the cat must be all jammed up so i tourched it off and wired the exhaust up took it for a drive and after about 15 minutes of high rpm highway driving the problem came back ....which tends to make me think its leaning out[addsig]

That's odd, I would have figured it was the cat or something. Another thing could be the fuel pump, I have seen them run for a little while and crap out. Hope you get it going soon.[addsig]

i feel you have a carb problem. i put header on my 258 and since doing that have had problems warming up and even after warmed up engine cuts out. the choke seems to be the culprit. i have to sometimes accelerate slowly or if i just put it to the floor.bogs down no power and pops thru carb. i need heat to open the choke and with a header their is no place to put heat tube. i stuck it between flange on header. when it cuts out its as if its flooded and i smell strong fuel smell. i understand holley also makes a carb for a 258 with an electric choke option. i hear good and bad about this carb. prone to flooding on steep inclines but warms up well and choke trouble free. [addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>i feel you have a carb problem. i put header on my 258 and since doing that have had problems warming up and even after warmed up engine cuts out. the choke seems to be the culprit. i have to sometimes accelerate slowly or if i just put it to the floor.bogs down no power and pops thru carb. i need heat to open the choke and with a header their is no place to put heat tube. i stuck it between flange on header. when it cuts out its as if its flooded and i smell strong fuel smell. i understand holley also makes a carb for a 258 with an electric choke option. i hear good and bad about this carb. prone to flooding on steep inclines but warms up well and choke trouble free. </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya in reasearching cabs i looked into the holley and did get alot of feedback from guys saying that they were prone to flooding on inclines.

As far as you problem goes it sounds like how mine started out and progressivly got worse. It would bog almost like it was getting to much fuel and the more throttle i gave it the less power it had. i would also get a strong smell of fuel i took the air cleaner lid off and there was actually a puddle of fuel sitting were the airfilter goes
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Just thought I would let ya'all know how I made out with my Weber install. Got the K551-38 series carb, and installed it on my 258ci it took about 1 hour total, and I gotta say it makes my 79 CJ run and feel like a whole differnt jeep. I can honestly say (as of now anyway) I would reccomend this to anyone pulling their hair out over a moody BBD carb. If you got the few extra bucks go for it......you wont regret it. I paid $329.00 free shipping for mine, which I think is a pretty good price considering I see the 38DGS kit going anywhere from $400.00 to $600.00 bucks[addsig]

Back