Welder choices

laneiac

Well I am going to purchase a welder soon, but I am not completely sure which one I should get. I know that I want a gas less wire feed, but not sure if I should go with a flux or flux and mig. Idea is to keep it portable so I can use it at home and in the field, and still lay down a decent bead. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

laneiac said:
Well I am going to purchase a welder soon, but I am not completely sure which one I should get. I know that I want a gas less wire feed, but not sure if I should go with a flux or flux and mig. Idea is to keep it portable so I can use it at home and in the field, and still lay down a decent bead. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks.

It sounds like you need to look at the Hobart Handler 140

image-missing.png

It is a 140 Amp machine running on 115 Volts.
You can use it with flux core wire, which is more messy, but works well for outside jobs where the wind would blow the sheilding gas away from a mig set up. AND.. you can switch easily to standard mig wire and use a mig gas mixture, which will be superior if you are indoors.

It will weld 1/4" plate in a single pass and go heavier if you pre-heat.

Hobart is made by Miller and is a great welder with an awesome 5/3/1 warranty. Lincoln's comperable welder does not have that warranty.

I highly suggest NOT buying a cheaper flux-core only welder, you will want the ability to use mig wire and sheilding gas.. just think with the right gas and wire you can weld aluminum and stainless steel..

Tractor Supply has fair everyday prices on Hobart Welders.

Ya, I'll say that you will definatly be happier with one that has the option of using gas as well. It will make your welds come out SOOO much better....but then you still always have the flux-core for outside, bad-weather jobs.

As for different models out there, I haven't looked into MIG welders for a while, so I can't help you there...

Wire fed mig is the only way to go welding on bumpers and other parts of your jeep. But I would suggestion that you go a little heavier and shoot for a 240 volt unit or portable one that runs the higher amps.

Utah_jeepster said:
Wire fed mig is the only way to go welding on bumpers and other parts of your jeep.

Can you please explain this? I'm able to do almost everything (besides tacking stuff together real quick) with either a stick welder or a tig. And keep in mind I weld for a living...and also do it almost everyday on my free-time--which all includes everything from big thick stuff on heavy equipement, to sheetmetal and body work on cars.

MIG is just so easy and fast. I hate stick welding. TIG is my preference if I can get whatever I'm working on to the bench, but our foot pedal and torch setup make it kind of a hassle to weld anything on the vehicle. If you only own or have access to one welder though, MIG is the way to go for automotive stuff.

That Hobart that 90Xjay posted is a killer deal. It's probably the next MIG that I'll own. If you go with one of the higher voltage machines, don't get one of the smallest ones. We've got a Lincoln SP-175 and it BARELY outperforms that 115V Hobart on 1/4" mild steel.

Don't waste money on a welder that doesn't have the ability to run gas. Sure you can weld with flux core, but it sucks compared to MIG, and you'll kick yourself later.

So.... I want the ability to use gas it looks like... Hmmm.... Might as well go that route since, like all things including Jeeps, I always wish I would have went bigger...

88Wrangles said:
Can you please explain this? I'm able to do almost everything (besides tacking stuff together real quick) with either a stick welder or a tig. And keep in mind I weld for a living...and also do it almost everyday on my free-time--which all includes everything from big thick stuff on heavy equipement, to sheetmetal and body work on cars.

First off I am a heavy industrial machinist so my welding experience has been large stuff, 50 tons or greater.
My partners and I have made 8 bumpers so far six front and two rears.
We have made one rock buggy so far out of a YJ, welding on custom king coil towers.
We have found that the 115 volt (mig) models don't have enough amps to make 100% penetration type of welds that we want to weld on clevis points, the towers to the frame and other projects.
For 50$ or so you can get a 240volt model instead of the 115 volt. Your home is prewired for 240 and getting that to the garage is not a big hassle.
My personal opinion is spend the extra bucks now and you will not regret it later on.

Utah_jeepster said:
First off I am a heavy industrial machinist so my welding experience has been large stuff, 50 tons or greater.
We have made one rock buggy so far out of a YJ, welding on custom king coil towers.
We have found that the 115 volt (mig) models don't have enough amps to make 100% penetration type of welds that we want to weld on clevis points, the towers to the frame and other projects.
For 50$ or so you can get a 240volt model instead of the 115 volt. Your home is prewired for 240 and getting that to the garage is not a big hassle.
My personal opinion is spend the extra bucks now and you will not regret it later on.
Yes, it is not a hassle getting 220 to your garage plugs. But keep in mind the portability you get from a 115 machine. I took mine to a buds house and welded up his patio, he did not have a 220 plug even close.
If you never plan on taking it from your garage or driveway, ever, that would be fine.
My 115 has welded 3/16 without preheating. Although I have not had the welds x-rayed(I know a boiler inspector and he has offered it) I have not been able to break the weld in a vise. I would weld a clevis pin in a hearbeat, on something thicker than 3/16th, I would pre-heat it first though.

I guess we all have made valid points and I hope poor laniec can sort it all out and make the best choice for his needs..8) 8)

90Xjay said:
.........I took mine to a buds house and welded up his patio..............

Seems I remember some pics of you pulling down your patio with your XJ!! :shock: :shock: Guess you didn't make those welds, huh?!?!! :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mud4feet said:
Seems I remember some pics of you pulling down your patio with your XJ!! :shock: :shock: Guess you didn't make those welds, huh?!?!! :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Naw, that wuz a bolt together kit job from Monkey Wards the former homeowner installed about 20 years ago.. It had to go...Jeep Style!!

And for those who have never seen my XJ tearing down my patio cover.....clicky hear:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I plan on giving my bushes the same treatment later this winter :lol: I never thought about filming it, but now i'm thinking I might have to...

Utah_jeepster said:

You had said wire fed Mig is the only way to go for welding on bumpers and other Jeep stuff. I was simply saying that Mig is certainly not the only way to go...another words, I was implying you can also use welders such as stick, tig, and many other types. I was in no way talking at all about 110 vs. 220 volt power sources...unless I missunderstood what you're saying.

Back