What Da Heck Is It?

DerekC

Alrighty now. Took manifolds off to replace freeze plugs, installing my Moto 2100 some night this week...As I was under the hood I saw this little plate just below the manifold and next to the block it pivots and has what appear to be a coiled spring at each end...what does it do and do I need it??

Derek

RE: Paragon pics from this weekend

Come on now, I know someone knows what it is....:(

RE: bfg mt vs kumho mt

Yeah, it's a doohickey, more commonly known as a little plate with coiled springs at each end. Sorry, that's about as detailed as my mechanical know-how gets.......but I'm learning, and I'm sure someone here will help you instead of posting meaningless drivel such as this. Oh, BTW, what are you driving and what motor do you have? Our audience of experts will need to know that.

DerekC said:
Alrighty now. Took manifolds off to replace freeze plugs, installing my Moto 2100 some night this week...As I was under the hood I saw this little plate just below the manifold and next to the block it pivots and has what appear to be a coiled spring at each end...what does it do and do I need it??

Derek

What year/make/model ?

Might be in his previous post about leaking coolant. DerekC, a pic might help, too (like the coolant thread).

Re: SugaMamas

That device you inquire about, DerekC, that device with the springs on either end of a flat plate and which leaves you so perplexed, is definitely and unequivocally a doohickey. That'll be 15 cents please.

:)

94 4.0 HO I6 with a rough idling problem

reading your old posts I am guessing it is a 1980 CJ

I believe its a heat valve
when your engine is cold this valve is closed (not all the way though)
as the engine heats up the springs tighten up and open the valve up letting more exhaust gases to escape

So I think it just to warm up the engine faster.

Re: Jerry rigged horn...

sorry so long in responding. 80 CJ7 with 258 Auto transmission. Got all that stuff squared away, now installing 2100...pain in the but as I have to drive 45 minutes round trip to get metal for brackets, then go back to get this and that...ARGGGGGG should have had this thing done a week ago!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Back