What did you do to your Jeep today?

Transmission flush and filter change yesterday, again. I'm getting proficient at it.

Change the filter and fill it up. Remove the return hose from the radiator. Shove a hose in there. Put a 5 gal bucket under. Have someone else turn it on and go thru the gears while you quickly pour in as many quarts as you want to flush, til it runs clear. Then, connect the return hose and check the fluid level. What the mechanic said to do.

Last edited:

That is the best way to do it, great job! .. There's an upside and a downside on either one of the 2 ways of servicing an automatic transmission. The conventional way doesn't clean out the fluid in the torque converter and the small ports and circuits in the valve body however , the filter is changed and 5 quarts +/- of fluid is drained and replaced and the pan is re-sealed. The flush completely takes all the old fluid out of the system and is replaced with new fluid as the pump circulates it through the system however, the filter is still going to have the particles trapped in its fibers and the magnet will also have the same. So doing it your way is the best way, much more expensive but much more effective.

Change the filter and fill it up. Remove the return hose from the radiator. Shove a hose in there. Put a 5 gal bucket under. Have someone else turn it on and go thru the gears while you quickly pour in as many quarts as you want to flush, til it runs clear. Then, connect the return hose and check the fluid level. What the mechanic said to do.

Ahhhh... dually noted....

shortened 8 plug wires, drilled out rivets so I can remove the cover over the steering box nd figure out why it leaks and maybe I'll rebuild it this weekend. Drove around illegally with out plates trying the new custom fit plug wires. Replumbed the fuel line in new custom by me stainless fuel line, installed electric fuel pump on frame rail, hidden switch for it, hidden switch to coil also. Replaced ignition switch and tumbler rewired gauge sending wires. Finish that for tomo.

I think I finally got all, or most of the mud pit mud out from Jeep Jam in August and put the carpet back in.

Handed the mechanic $3000. I hope this is the end of the transmission woes. I'd better get at least a decade out of this bizitch for that price.

Handed the mechanic $3000. I hope this is the end of the transmission woes. I'd better get at least a decade out of this bizitch for that price.

Yikes! Really sorry to hear it.. This has been going on now for a while. Do you have a $ grand total from day 1 of this Just ... Empty... Every.... Pocket maneuver...

Yikes! Really sorry to hear it.. This has been going on now for a while. Do you have a $ grand total from day 1 of this Just ... Empty... Every.... Pocket maneuver...
I've spent over a grand before taking it to Schmidt- $300 to have a guy flub the seal change. $200 to have a guy replace the torque converter and pump. Over $100 for the torque converter and the pump. Then $70 or so with every flush. $170 at Schmidt, then $3000 at Schmidt... so over $4000. Shoulda just went with the new transmission a long time ago maybe.

Last edited:
Again, so sorry.. yes hind sight, a new transmission would have been the way, but you didn't (couldn't) have known the trauma that was to be.

Pulled the rear drum and inspected and adjusted the rear brake shoes

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Jeepz

Finished my cj7 to tj hard top conversion yesterday and got my cj7/yj (not sure which) full doors fitted up tonite. Total cost I'm right at $225 for both with all the hardware and what not...beats the craigslist cost of $1500-$2500 using used tj stuff.

Put the hard top on.

20131119_151331_zpsfb053767-1.jpg

Removed side and rear curtains from my TJ's soft top and also removed the doors. Temps in mid 70's here, so great weather for just riding with the wind in your hair...at least in what hair I have left. Louie, the wonder dog, enjoyed it too!

Fixed the rear track bar bracket. No more ass-sway. Hopefully, this is the end of my woes for a few months. I gotta buy Christmas gifts! I've asked Santa for cash to replenish my jeep account.

Fixed the rear track bar bracket. No more ass-sway. Hopefully, this is the end of my woes for a few months. I gotta buy Christmas gifts! I've asked Santa for cash to replenish my jeep account.

Amen sister.. nutti'n worse than an over swaying azz... Gentlemen let us bow our heads a take minute to pray for some serious growth (maybe a sugar daddy?) for sister trailratedRN's jeep fund..

Back