what is this???

sweetpeet

so I am about to finish an engine an engine swap from a 304 to a 360. now Im realizing that there is some difference between the 304 manifold and the 360. I need to lookup some parts that are 360 specific. only problem is that I dont know the names of the parts. can someone help me out?? I posted some pictures of the parts i'm talking about and i'll be adding more later. oh btw the second one is a picture the plug outlet on the HEI distributor, I put that there because I'm not really sure where to or how to hook it up.

Attachments

• Photo0145.jpg
    Photo0145.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,107
  • Photo0141.jpg
    Photo0141.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,162

First one looks like an oil pressure line that goes into a mechanical pressure gauge. Just a guess.....where does the other end of it go?

Yes, the first one is a mechanical oil pressure gauge line. There should be a fitting on the passenger side of the block just above the oil filter. although the filter is attached to the pump on the timing chain, the fitting is where the oil pressure sending unit would be. If I remember correctly, I could be wrong, on the HEI, one terminal is key on positive and the other is a ground. If no one else verifies this I will look under my hood and see if that's correct.

Yes, the first one is a mechanical oil pressure gauge line. There should be a fitting on the passenger side of the block just above the oil filter. although the filter is attached to the pump on the timing chain, the fitting is where the oil pressure sending unit would be. If I remember correctly, I could be wrong, on the HEI, one terminal is key on positive and the other is a ground. If no one else verifies this I will look under my hood and see if that's correct.

OH! that would be a huge help if you could look under your hood and maybe if you can, take a few pictures of the assembly from distributor to ignition coil to resistor. that would be awesome!

The HEI does not use an external resistor or coil. The coil is inside the distributor cap along with the ignition module. The wiring simplifies it to just 2 wires. Here's an illustration i found on the net.

Attachments

• HEI_wire.gif
    HEI_wire.gif
    9 KB · Views: 368
  • HEIwire01.gif
    HEIwire01.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 4,254
idk about the oil pressure comment you had steelheadz. I only say that because the oil pressure sending unit on the block has a round piece in the block (the sending unit) and off of that there is a little tab. so I don't really see anywhere to put it. if you need me to I can post a picture of what I'm talking about.

--------------------------------------------------------------
what are these? I think they are the same thing, not sure tho. the lower sensor in the first picture says temp gauge on the wire but the one above it looks the same (theres a closer up pic of it too) except it is longer then the other one by about .5". what is the difference between the two? also on top of that I had ordered a new coolant sensor(the lower sensor in the first pic) and it was engine specific but it's too small for the threads on the manifold. what should I do to close the gap?do I need to order another one? if so be specific about what to buy so that I can get the right one to fit. if not then could I fill it with gasket maker or is that a bad idea (kinda does sound like a really really bad idea now that I think about it)?

oh also, on my amc 304 there was a bolt or something off of the engine block for the negative side of the battery but on the amc 360 I dont have that. so that should I do with the negative side of the battery??

Attachments

• Photo0152.jpg
    Photo0152.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 1,075
  • Photo0154.jpg
    Photo0154.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 1,005
For the oil pressure , the line you have right now is for a mechanical gauge. On mine, i installed a fitting on the port where the oil pressure sending unit is attached to. I removed the sending unit since im using a mechanical gauge from Autometer. On the water temp probe, you will also need an adapter fitting that will thread on the intake and the inner diameter of that fitting to thread on the temp. probe. Your local parts store should be able to match you up with what you need. Make sure that the probe is recessed enough in the water port hole so that it can take an accurate temperature.

oh also, on my amc 304 there was a bolt or something off of the engine block for the negative side of the battery but on the amc 360 I dont have that. so that should I do with the negative side of the battery??

You should be able to take the ground eyelet to any good clean surface on the block. No special place is needed....just on the block, and under a bolt.

I hope the pics help. The first one is the water temp. probe. The second one is the wiring connection for the HEI and the last one is the oil pressure line on the right front of the block.

Attachments

• Picture 007.jpg
    Picture 007.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 131
  • Picture 005.jpg
    Picture 005.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 006.jpg
    Picture 006.jpg
    470.1 KB · Views: 114
I hope the pics help. The first one is the water temp. probe. The second one is the wiring connection for the HEI and the last one is the oil pressure line on the right front of the block.

in the first picture is that large nut wielded to the block? also the hook-up for my 360 looks nothing like that. I think I might just get a new gauge that works for the sending unit that I have. unless you think it would be cheaper to ger the mechanical sending unit(if that is possible). I posted a pic of my sending unit so that you see what I'm looking at. whan I removed the sending unit in the picture the hole was too big for the "mechanical gauge wire thread thing".

Attachments

• Photo0155.jpg
    Photo0155.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 959
Last edited:

in the first picture is that large nut wielded to the block? also the hook-up for my 360 looks nothing like that. I think I might just get a new gauge that works for the sending unit that I have. unless you think it would be cheaper to ger the mechanical sending unit(if that is possible). I posted a pic of my sending unit so that you see what I'm looking at. whan I removed the sending unit in the picture the hole was too big for the "mechanical gauge wire thread thing".

What you have in this picture is an electronic sending unit. The Mechanical coolant temp. gauge does not use a sending unit since the probe is attached to the copper line going to the rear of the temp. gauge. All you need to do is find a water port in the intake to screw it in. On the first pic i showed you, i used an adapter fitting to get the probe mounted properly since the threaded hole on the intake is larger than the fitting on the probe. Also, use a PTFE sealant on the threads to keep it from leaking. On the last pic., I have a fitting block that is attached to the side of the engine block . Directly at the end of it is the oil pressure line for my oil pressure gauge. I removed the electronic oil pressure sending unit since i was not going to use it and just installed a plug on the hole hich is what you see facing upwards towards the camera.

I stopped in at NAPA and finally found those fittings. now do you know where I can find the unit that you have to hook up to my mechanical gauge?

Same, go back to Napa and have them match the threads with a fitting. Just make sure it's a "compression fitting".

Same, go back to Napa and have them match the threads with a fitting. Just make sure it's a "compression fitting".

ok, i'll give that a try.

btw how many turns do I need to do when priming( I think thats what its called). you know, you stick this pole-like tool in the the distributor hole and turn it. how many turns or how long do I need to do it for?

My first choice is to watch the tip of the pushrods to the rocker arms granted, the cam bearings permits it so without it turning . My second choice is removing the fitting for the oil pressure gauge and watch for the oil to flow out that way. This oil passage is the same one that feeds the upper end of the engine.

My first choice is to watch the tip of the pushrods to the rocker arms granted, the cam bearings permits it so without it turning . My second choice is removing the fitting for the oil pressure gauge and watch for the oil to flow out that way. This oil passage is the same one that feeds the upper end of the engine.

thanks! that was a great was to check. now I need some help conecting my distributor. I dont think I really understood what you were saying last time about this. do I have to cut the wires to connect it to the ignition coil?

Attachments

• Photo0159.jpg
    Photo0159.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 877
  • Photo0160.jpg
    Photo0160.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 871
  • Photo0166.jpg
    Photo0166.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1,004
Ok never mind about the hei connection. I found this picture on line but I dont know what that thing in the middle is. do you?

Attachments

• heiconversionfe6 (1).jpg
    heiconversionfe6 (1).jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 1,396

NNoooooooo!! don't use an external coil. THe HEI already has its own coil and ignition module inside the distributor. That 3 wire connector plugs into the 3 way on the distributor cap. The only wires you need to install are the 2 wire connector next to the 3 way on the distributor cap. I took a picture of the top of my distributor. The 2 on the outside section is the only 2 wires you need to hook up.

That thing in the middle your reffering to is the ignition module that's inside the HEI distributor. Just use that illustration for refference when you plug in the connector to the distributor cap.

Attachments

• HEI distributor.JPG
    HEI distributor.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 1,520
Back