What Jeep?

Alacran

Hi all. Great forum here. I'm looking for some advice on what Jeep would be best suited for my circumstances.

A little background first. My wife and I retired 2 years ago and moved to Mexico, just south of Guadalajara near Lake Chapala. I have a motorcycle (Suzuki V-Strom DL 1000) for fun. Early this year I bought a Kaw. KLR 650 for more dirt riding. After dumping it numerious times and a cracked rib I came to the sad conclusion that I'm too old ( 58 ) to risk my neck learning new habits. Thus the Jeep. I feel it would be perfect for here. I'm not looking to do any rock crawling, just dirt roads and conditions that I would be leery to take my Toyota Highlander.

After reading as many threads here as possible I've come up with a question. I plan on spending around $4,000. Would probably be a YJ with FI. Vehicle will be bought in San Diego area and driven down here,1500 miles. Now, 4 cyl or 6 ? We don't live in the sticks so there are places that I can take it to to have work done if necessary. Most of the driving will be on back roads but there are very nice autopistas (freeways) where the speed limit is 110 km/hr. What setup would you go with? Engine size, tire size, gearing?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Last edited:

First off Aint No Bad Jeep Choice! YJ is the choice for me but that is a limited choice for as many as you ask! Start out with a basic as close to stock jeep as posible. Look for low miles and low rust, and with as little off road use as possible. Then as your experence with the jeep grows so will your desire to coustom build it to suit yourself. Go with the six and a manual transmission then build your dream. It will be journey into the world of Jeep "Just Empty Every Pocket" and you will never find a way to go broke that you will love more! tug

The YJ would be a good choice, but if you can find a TJ with the 4.0 you would be ahead of the game. Since there newer parts will be easier to find and upgrades are on the cutting edge.

I have an XJ and just recently sold my TJ, but for what you want a Jeep for I would get a SWB for sure. YJ, TJ or CJ if you can find one. I loved my TJ except with 33 inch tires on it going down the highway was a drag. It was a 4 cylinder. Nothing against 4 bangers, but if you want to mod it and drive it on the highway, get the bigger engine. My XJ is very capable off road also, it's just a little longer base, but more room for storage and people. It really depends on your need. My kids cried when I sold the TJ, and I still miss it. But one day, I will get another one, only with the six cylinder. Good Luck on the hunt.

I have an XJ and just recently sold my TJ, but for what you want a Jeep for I would get a SWB for sure. YJ, TJ or CJ if you can find one. I loved my TJ except with 33 inch tires on it going down the highway was a drag. It was a 4 cylinder. Nothing against 4 bangers, but if you want to mod it and drive it on the highway, get the bigger engine. My XJ is very capable off road also, it's just a little longer base, but more room for storage and people. It really depends on your need. My kids cried when I sold the TJ, and I still miss it. But one day, I will get another one, only with the six cylinder. Good Luck on the hunt.

Obviously XJ's and TJ's are good at different things. Personally I found the slightly longer wheelbase of the XJ helped it on the trails and made it more capable than my TJ. (Hence why many rockcrawlers lenghen the wheelbase on SWB Jeeps)

My XJ was unbeatable on hillclimbs. Literally, I made a more money at the sand drags and hillclimbs hussling v8's in El Paso. I made more cash than I put into it. Blazers, Bronco's, pickups, quite a few 350's went down to good ole "Six Pack."

Jeepz014-1.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks for the great responses guys! I'll probably be looking more towards the YJ and TJ's. I already have a Toyota Highlander so I like the more open feel of SWB vehicles. We don't get too many bad weather days down here! Budget wise the YJ will probably be the Jeep of choice. Looking forward to contributing more.

the YJ will probably be the Jeep of choice
I think you will be pleased with it. They are very well built very simple vehicles. EZ to work on and modify.

See ya around and post a picture on here to let us know what you come up with ;)

Back