what to look for

jeepless in ga

ok guys, hopefully the stars will line up and hell will freeze over
and my numbers will come up and i'll be looking for a jeep.
as ive said I want a YJ 6cyl. ok the question for the day is this,
what things do I need to be looking for and looking out for in my
searches and test drives to make sure I get a quality jeep?

Make sure the 4x4 works in both hi and low. listen for any rearend noise, make sure it drives straight. look for rust through on the frame from above the rear wheels back to the rear bumper. they tend to rust on the body under the doors too. oh, the floor boards like to rust out too.

Just check all the normal things. Take what you learned with your old one and use it while looking at new ones

Make sure the 4x4 works in both hi and low. listen for any rearend noise, make sure it drives straight. look for rust through on the frame from above the rear wheels back to the rear bumper. they tend to rust on the body under the doors too. oh, the floor boards like to rust out too.

thank you very much for you reply.

Look for rust near the rear shackles, and also around the steering box. As mentioned make sure the 4x4 works as it should. Be aware that the yj's use a central axle disconnect or cad, it is run from vacuum lines that rot with age. Also I've nothing against the carbed 4.2 (my dad just got one) but the ba10/5 trans in the 87-89's sucked. Also the 87 has the 207 t-case as opposed to the 231, so it has less aftermarket support. Aside from that just check all the normal things you'd check when buying a used vehicle: fluids( level, condition) brakes, look under the oil full cap to see how much buildup is under it, etc...good luck and happy shopping.

thank you eric. I think im going with a 6cyl fuel injected

You're welcome. Also be leary of any lifted/modified Jeeps, that does not make them worth more. Plus you're much better off buying a stock Jeep for a couple of reasons: you don't know how abused the Jeep was(check for scraped/dented skid plates and exhaust), you don't know the quality of the parts used (did they add lengthened brake lines? Did they reuse the old u-bolts), finally how half assed was the install? I'm not saying you have to take a Jeep to a shop to have it lifted (I did my lift myself) but did they pay attention when torquing everything? Just a few more things to consider...also if you do get to looking at a lifted one pay attention to the steering.

ok guys, hopefully the stars will line up and hell will freeze over
and my numbers will come up and i'll be looking for a jeep.
as ive said I want a YJ 6cyl. ok the question for the day is this,
what things do I need to be looking for and looking out for in my
searches and test drives to make sure I get a quality jeep?

Here's some things:

Rust in the footwells. Look under the floor mats.
Rust in the L&R rear corners.
Test drive and get it up to speed limit and see if there is any shimmy or death wobble.
Check the color and smell of the oil and the level. Really low oil suggests a history of poor care.
Check trans fluid color and smell. Really low trans fluid suggests a history of poor care.
Check battery water and see if terminal posts are clear of corrosion.
Move steering wheel back and forth and have someone look for excess play in the ball joints.
Shift into and out of 4x4. Make sure you know how to do it. Sometimes you need to be stopped, like when going into low range.
Make sure VIN matches pink slip VIN.

Good luck. You don't need a perfect Jeep, just don't get snookered into buying one missing something critical.

ohhh, sorry. i remember you had a thread about asking which engine was more desirable so i thought you had one.

i would put checking for rust as the most important thing to look for. then making sure the transmission/engine are good. everything else can be changed.

Most the things I look for have been stated above. I also check the condition of the suspension. I got suckerd when I bought a Jeep with a bent leaf. Now I know what to look for. Also since this will be your 1st Jeep. When you test the 4X4 be sure to try to do it on loose ground. If you do it on the street it will not be happy and may make some grinding when you take a turn.

Post purchase: regardless of the condition of the fluids its a good idea to replace all the fluids after you buy your new Jeep. That way you know when they were changed last and can see if there is any metal flakes that are not normal in your motor, axles, T-case, and trans.

Most the things I look for have been stated above. I also check the condition of the suspension. I got suckerd when I bought a Jeep with a bent leaf. Now I know what to look for. Also since this will be your 1st Jeep. When you test the 4X4 be sure to try to do it on loose ground. If you do it on the street it will not be happy and may make some grinding when you take a turn.

Post purchase: regardless of the condition of the fluids its a good idea to replace all the fluids after you buy your new Jeep. That way you know when they were changed last and can see if there is any metal flakes that are not normal in your motor, axles, T-case, and trans.

all of these are great ideas thank you much,

Back