What type of TRUCK should I buy?

88WRANGRED

I am going to be trading in my car, 1997 Audi A4, and getting a truck.
What should i get? i like the Dodge Dakotas, and the S-10 off-road pkg.
Any help would be great.
Requirements of the truck i get:
pwr win, locks, a/c, cruise, EXTENDED CAB!!!!
may be looking for a plow as well.

Thanks,

I'd wait until Chevy unveils the new midsize pickup, should be real soon. I think the front clip will be similar to the TrailBlazer, and the all aluminum 4.2L I6 they have is awesome, 275hp stock :twisted: We love our '03 TrailBlazer.

grip spurs

My wife has the 03 F150 super crew, have about 15K miles on it and so far its been a great truck. Mom-n-law's got the chevy version of the same thing and she's had a lot of problems with it. One of the guys I work with has a Nissan Frontier thats held up really well for all the abuse it takes on the weekend. We had a '98 GMC Jimmy and that thing was the worst junk heap I've ever owned (and I owned an '82 camaro for 10 years, so thats sayin something) before it hit 50K the A/C, windshield wiper motor, power windows, water pump all crapped out. The fuel pump crapped out 3X due to an electrical short that they never could find, dropped about 5 large on trying to get the fuel pump thing figured out with no help from GMC or our local dealers. Finally ended up limping it down the the ford dealer and trading it in. Mother-n-law had a '98 S-10 blazer that had a lot of the same problems plus the transmission crapped out at 45K miles, she got rid of it too, course she traded into what she's got now which is doing the same thing. So even though I was a dyed in the wool chevy driver, I would suggest avoiding GMC like the plague... Or at least get a really really good extended warranty and go down to the nearest rental car joint and put your name on one of their cars :wink:

A lot of our work trucks are full sized and 1 ton dodges, they have been very reliable, though they all make odd noises to one degree or another

I have a few friends that have F-150s and love them. One buddy drove his into a tree and all they had to replace was the bumper. But on a less practical side get the Cadillac Escalade EXT. Those look B$tchin.

I would have to say I have owned a ton of vehicles. I always hated Dodge for various reason but I bought a 92 Dodge Dakota w/ a snow plow one year. I beat the snot out that thing and after three years with only the neutral safety switch going out I was damn impressed. I have owned Chevy's and Fords, all brutely abused in Alaska. In general I say this" You want a work truck get a Ford you want a street truck get a Chevy" (Half tons seem equal 3/4 and up is what that statement is targeted at)

Both are gonna cost you some money to keep working but chevy seems to be the nickle and dime king to date.

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut The Nissan Titan is coming out this month, and I don't think I would ever by another domestic again. It is that big and that bad. I got a sneak preview and ride last month,,.............and OMG!!!!!

If that is your choices S/10 VS Dakota I would buy the Dakota hands down. There resale values sucks so you better want one till it's paid off though. Which means you can get a used one dirt cheap!!! 8)

I am definately a Ford truck man myself. I'm sure you're gonna get Chevy and Dodge fans as well...everyone will argue why their brand of truck is best. If you look at most work trucks and a lot of farmers, most of them drive Fords. My dream truck is a F-350 crew cab on 39" boggers.

go with one Fords f 250 super duty trucks...lots of p[ower from the desil engine and a soild axle in the front end. its getting harder and harder to find soild front ends in trucks these days :?

If you want midsized and 4wd.. i'd get a ford ranger or mazda B-series (same truck) they are a reliable truck that has some wicked flex in the rear....

for midsize, i say go Dakota... i'm a chevy man... but the 360 in a midsized truck really touches the heart for me

How young is too young for a jeep?

Yea the Dodge still has solid axles on it but their coil springs are weak.
(I think I have heard that mention before.......hehehe)
Throw a 8.5' snow plow on one and it barely can lift it off the ground.
One tons have leafs and no f*#king CV axles....................That just sickens me!!!

Mid size Dodge or even the Tundra. (even though they consider it a full size :roll: )

Bent axle or alignment?

My old phone company '89 Ford bucket truck was just sent to auction and I was given a new Chevy for a replacement. It is really comfortable, but the brakes just plain scare me. I'd rather have my old truck back. These are bucket trucks and weigh a great deal more than what you are looking for, and I don't know if the braking issue would apply to a regular pickup, but I'm telling you those brakes really really blow!

Thamks a lot all, i looked at a few Ford Rangers on Friday, but i'm still undecided. we have a family friend who is a top dog a th FORD in town and he said he can get me whatever i want in my $$ range. he is also willing to take my car on trade for a reasonable amount. i'll let you guys know what i do but, i really like the Dakota. big V8 in a mid-size truck will give me plenty of power to tow my jeep oince i make it a stricktly off-road vehicle!!!!

Thanks for all the opinions,

Ray, If your looking for a good tow vehicle, Thise midsize are alright but you will be hurting on the inclines regardless of it being flat towed or trailer! Go with a full size. the big three all recently changed the body styles so a 1-2 year old used truck is selling for a lower price. If ya are hell bent on having new/mid size truck, the dakota would be the best. V8 option, parts easily available. I am unsure of the new colorado (the chevy) just cause they were just released and the ranger is great but can't tow for #$%#

I won't suggest any one brand because brand loyalty is a matter of personal preference. Let's face it.......they ALL have issues. Any of you that have read some of my past posts know my feelings on foreign vehicles, so I needn't go there either.

A small pickup with a V8 in it will have the power but I think you'd be pushed around alot while towing any kind of weight. If you are planning on towing a built Jeep (and parts?) then I'd suggest at least a 1/2 ton with trailering package if not a 3/4 ton domestic truck. It all depends on what you need and how much $$ you're looking to spend. I wouldn't want to be planning for "down the road" only to find out that what I bought isn't going to do the job.

This, like ALL my posts, is just my opinion based on my experience. 8)

Back