What would you like to learn?!!!!!!!

Bubbacon and Friends

TwistedCopper said:
Just for kicks I just tested mine. 46V AC ringing voltage (I didn't bother testing frequency). I was already aware that the DC voltage remains on the line while it rings, and it is one of the only examples of the two types of voltage being run on the same circuit of anything I have ever dealt with. I never would have thought that possible before working for the phone company.

I guess the telco equipment varies more than I thought. I figured yours would have been closer to 50V. I wonder why that system uses a higher voltage, as I don't start to troubleshoot a line unless it drops below 40VAC.

Good to know though, and it'll have me picking the brain of a couple of the old-timers at my work location :)

As for your Jeep being 160V, I'm going to quit while I'm behind :) but I'm glad we agree on the safety issue. I felt the need to state it when I got a mental image of some welder-to-be checking to see if he could really shock himself harmlessly :lol:

Hey TC,

The older ring standards are still in effect in many areas to support the old indutry standards. There still is a huge quantity of older equipment in many subscribers homes and small businesses.

I have seen the various ringing currents all over the east coast. In the early days when I was a new lineman, there was nothing like the wake up call you get from leaning out across iron wire to connect a drop. Yes you can get a nasty burn.

The muxes we use in customer sites to drop from fiber to copper have some nasty ring generators. Some of the first generation digital EAPBXes I worked on could peak 300vac off the back of the unit, but when loaded or tied down to the copper plant they would settle in around 105.

You probably work in an area that has had a better rebuild program and the standards aren't as critical, and I believe as time goes on the rest of the country will follow suit. Eventually we will all be on fiber and ring current won't be an issue. Let's just hope they send the ones and zeros in the right sequence. lol

that's my two cents,

mike

RE: chat room?

Mike, I am currently working on the FTTP (fiber to the premises) project in Montgomery County, MD.

I'm a splicer, but on a temp loan to the line crew on a voluntary basis until Jan 15th. The stuff is going up quick and coming soon to a neigborhood near you! I just hope I'm not working myself out of a job :shock:

Even when I was in DC, the average ring voltage was as I stated earlier. I guess all the old equipment went out with the mechanical switch down here.

By the way, I sent you a PM.

Old post, sorry but yes, insomnia does wonders to a jeeper without a jeep
1. How to do a SOA that holds up to the trails (and not just the bunny trails)
2. How to do gear work
3. How To SH-T $50 dollar bills or better!

RE: Aftermarket Rock Bumper proper bracing

I said welding back then, and I've got that crossed of the list now.

Back