What would you like to learn?!!!!!!!

Now, what have we here? I need to use the Search more often, while I have still not found the post that I am looking for, this is a very good one nonetheless... So, to answer Mingez's fine question...

I would like to learn to:

1. Weld without being scared. All the equipment is in my late Grandfather's garage, and I have welded before, but I have a fear of high voltage electricity, getting the electrode stuck a couple times and hearing that deep electrical BZZZZZZZZZZ freaked me right out, haven't welded in a long time because of that, have the shivers up my back right now thinking about it.

2. I'd like to learn more about the engine... To take it apart and fix it's seeping rear main seal, to find out why my oil pressure is beginning to settle just a hair lower than I would prefer it... My grandpa was a wealth of information, having been in the field all his life, but a him and I session under the hood of the Jeep never happened... I love nothing more than turning a pile of parts back into what it was supposed to be, but do not feel that I have the knowhow to do so on my engine...

I myself would like to learn how to get my wife to make ME enough money that I can PAY someone to do the repairs for me! :lol:

Any suggestions anyone??????

hmm i missed this post the first time around.
i'd like to learn anything and everything :D . i'm a very curious person and i really know nothing about vehicles in general; nor do i really know anyone who knows anything about them to learn off of :? . so you all are my teachers :D !

RE: Hi everyone!

mingez said:
White said:
purpleyjgirl said:
i have also nursed my hubby thru welding flash, not once but twice!!!
Could of used you saturday nite :cry:
I just slept it off.. But I will NEVER do that again...

Like to rebuild a automatic soon....

No protection???? :shock:

wow,

Ya mingez, I broke a upper control arm. Mike and I had everything to repair it ExcePT the goggles. So I took one for the team.
Paid the price all nite :cry:

Been there but not from welding. I watched from up close a guy drop a ground on a hot 12kv line once. I had a flashburn and a visit from mr. Sandman. We had some goey stuff on the trucks to take home for that but it didn't help. Made for a long night!

Wipers arent working correctly

For the old Sparkster, I guess I'd like to know how to weld, also. Then, I'd also like to know more about how to work on engines. I'm really pretty lame when it comes to down-and-dirty mechanical work. Electrical? OMG!!!!! I hate electrical problems....I sold one of my first trucks because it had an electrical problem that two mechanics couldn't fix!!

RE: Hi everyone!

bigTlilODD said:
I want to learn the following.....

4)whose idea it was to take TITUS off tv.
I ya Bro! Also, I want Home Improvment back! I so related to Tim Allens Character!

Learn....

Automotive:

1. I would like to learn how to set up a Diff as well. I can do basic assembly, but set back lash and all that crap.... lost.

2. I would like to learn how to properly degree a cam shaft and set timing for the best performance. I have tried to learn how to degree a cam, and I get lost after finding TDC for the 9th time.

General Life:

1. I would like to learn why my Wife can't justify spending $100 for 4" lift springs and thinks it is outragouse, but the $6000 spent on her Wedding ring is fine?

2. I would like to learn why the toilet seat needs to go down after #1, I am gonna be back in there before she is.

3. I would like to learn why Victoria's Secret would not hire me for holiday help when I have seen more women take there cloths off at strip clubs and read there catalog religously! (everyone the holiday edition)

4. I would like to learn if the G spot accually exhist! I have looked! microscope and all, can't seam to find it! hehe JK!

I'd definately like to learn to weld. Been thinking about taking a welding class to get me started, then learn the rest on my own from there. I wanna build a front bumper, a fold back frame that'll fit around my snorkel for a roof rack and a roll cage.
I'd also like to learn to permantely fix my jeep so the stupid thing won't break down!

Window shopping with Mom...

I can make anything, fix just about everything. I never back down from a challenge. I am the kind a person who can fall face first in a pile of crap and come out smelling like roses.

However; Painting what I build seems to be my kryptonite. I cannot for the life of me paint something with out a run or or an orange peel somewhere. I like using stainless steel so I can avoid paint alltogether. So I would love to learn how to paint proficiently.

I am learning how to weld currentyl, and that's something I've always wanted to do. Also I want to learn how to make enough money to keep up with this hobby. I would like to learn enough about vehicles to keep only major work from being done by pro's but "major work" is a relative term.

Hi,

Saurian said:
but I have a fear of high voltage electricity, getting the electrode stuck a couple times and hearing that deep electrical BZZZZZZZZZZ freaked me right out, haven't welded in a long time because of that

As far as I know, welding machines run on voltages of 48 volts or less. Thus, they depend on high current to make the arc, not high voltage. At least I know mig welders do. The risk of getting electrocuted is greatly minimized at voltages below 50 volts, which is why anything below 50 volts is usually referred to as "low voltage".

If the buzz you were hearing was from the welding machine, it was the large transformer "complaining" about the huge amount of current you were sinking through it (due to the electrode creating what is essentially a dead short). Though, I personally have never heard such a buzz while welding with my 240 volt mig welder, so maybe you are talking about something else...

-Nick :!:

sm420

so true about the current and voltage, you wont get much of a shock out of welding equipment and if your welding without gloves you deserved it

RE: need space for tires, what

I like to freak out the shop newbies by jumping the high frequency from the TIG gun into my finger, or their arm when they get close. You've got to be careful with that one though, some people get freaked out with electricity and want to get mad. If they've never been around a welder, they are amazed by that little purple/blue arc jumping from the torch to their skin.

I believe that as little as 60V AC with merely 1 mA of current can throw the human heart into fibrillation. It is federal law that anyone who regularly works with 60+VAC must be CPR certified.

I know first hand that 48 volts can whack you pretty good when it's current is not limited. Grab the ring side (48V) of a telephone line with one hand and touch ground with another part of your body then call the # and you will see what I mean :)

Does a spark plug fire with 12V? I know the amperage is pretty high but I don't know if the voltage remains at 12V (although I probably should). If you've ever gotten bit by one it will give you alot of respect for low voltage.

The company I am driveing for is a full out meatal fab outfit! The welders there are something to watch. The TIG welding is some kind of art I think. My dad scared me as a small child from being a welder. Just now starting to wish I had learned along time ago. tug

Interesting to know, this is one of those instanced where the term "high voltage" got tossed about... I haven't ever been shocked when welding, never plan to be, but I gotta say, this info is a lot more encouraging... It's an old welder, don't even know the specifics, except that it is the size of a small refrigerator standing up in the corner of the garage... As I recall, it always made interesting noises.

Hi,

TwistedCopper said:
I believe that as little as 60V AC with merely 1 mA of current can throw the human heart into fibrillation. It is federal law that anyone who regularly works with 60+VAC must be CPR certified.

I'd suspect that's true, but only under the right conditions. But anyways, that is why anything over 50 volts (to be precise I think it is 42 volts nominal), is considered "high voltage", because the resistance of our skin is such that we can easily get shocked at this voltage and anything higher.

TwistedCopper said:
I know first hand that 48 volts can whack you pretty good when it's current is not limited. Grab the ring side (48V) of a telephone line with one hand and touch ground with another part of your body then call the # and you will see what I mean :)

Telephone lines are current limited. However, the power source likely uses a constant current device which can survive a short circuit indefinately (but the current is still limited, or else wires would be melting :shock: ).

Also, telephone lines are NOT 48 volts when a ring signal is present. They are usually anywhere between 90 and 120 volts AC. Oh, and it is 30Hz AC, so it is like sticking your hand in a standard light socket, but because it is 30Hz instead of 60Hz, you are actually getting shocked for a longer duration per second. As far as I can tell, telephone lines with a DSL signal present are always carrying a higher voltage (like greater than 60 volts).

TwistedCopper said:
Does a spark plug fire with 12V? I know the amperage is pretty high but I don't know if the voltage remains at 12V (although I probably should).

No. That is what the ignition coil is for -- it is a transformer which steps UP the voltage to over 6,000 volts (I've read it can be as high as 40,000 volts), and there is likely very little current. Thus, an automotive spark plug would operate the opposite of a welder. It would be a high voltage, low current device.

The reason why I believe spark plugs carry very little current is because if somebody got shocked with a voltage that high and any significant amount of current, that'd be the end of them....

-Nick :!:

Back