what's a good welder

griff

hey everyboby it's been a while.the 80 cj is completely apart.the body is off and i've got some welding to do on the frame.i have not welded in about 10 years.what is a good all around brand of welder for the home garage that uses 115 volts.something to go from frame to sheet metal.thanks griff.

Lincoln Electric Weld Pack 3200 HD. It uses gas and flux core and is a great all around welder. It's what I have, and can be bought for about $450 with wire and everything at Home Depot. It runs on 115 volts and can weld anything from thin sheet metal to 5/16" steel.

I got a Clarke brand from weldingdepot.com. Mines a 230V, but I thought I would mention it because they had great prices and really fast service.

Installing complete exhaust

Building a welder isn't exactly rocket science, and almost any of them will do what they are supposed to. They are like winches though. If you only plan to use it once and then let it sit there looking pretty, then save a few bucks. If you plan on working with it alot......you get what you pay for. None of the 115V machines should be trusted with anything thicker than 3/16" mild steel if it's something your life depends on.

There are ALOT of good deals out there on used welders.

I would have to agree that building an ac arc welder can be done, but if you plan on welding thin sheet metal than you really should get a mig...and that would alot harder to make. As for brands, I would say that Lincoln is the Craftsman of welders. Harbor freight has some cheap ones too if you don't plan on using it that much.

I spent quite a bit of time researching this as I plan to build a shop and fabbing my own armor and bumpers. Although I have reserved buying one until after I move to PA, everything I have read points me to getting a 220v unit, be it mig or stick.

The difference in price to step up to a 220V mig isn't that much, yet it gives you many more uses.

No matter what you decide to go with, look at the duty cycle when buying one. A cheap one with a poor duty cycle could be quite frustrating if you plan to use it for 1/4" steel (if it even properly welds it at all).

Admittedly I have never even welded, but the advice I am offering is what some very experienced welders have told me.

Back