What's cheaper

kennesaw4x4

I recently stumbled into the 4x4 world with a 2000 TJ with a 5 speed transmission and a 4 cylinder. I have been having a lot of fun but i know that i want to eventually have something with a little more power and a little more height. I've been looking at diffrent lift kits and reading up on it. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to just buy an old cj or something that already has all that done.

As much as I love CJ's (yet to own one though)

BUILDING IT IS ALL THE FUN!!!

I am in the same boat, 00 TJ, 5 spd. 4 banger....... and I get a bigger kick out of modifying that machine myself than I ever would buying a ready made. (Although I would have a butt load more free weekends if I did!!)

Just think, if you build it, YOU can repair it because you know exactly what you have and how it went together in the first place. I am sure CJ owners here can attest, before all these latest and greatest long arm kits, people did some funny things to Jeeps to get them trail ready!

Anyway, just my thoughts.

Some things to consider with the 4banger........
If you lift it, I'm assuming it's for bigger tires (ie: more ground clearance). You've got the AX5 transmission, 4:10 gears, and a Dana 35 rear axle........all things that may have to be swapped out (after they break??:lol: ). Your stock set-up should handle 31's ok, but anything larger will take some thought/number crunching. Same situation I'm in..............next step will be a BIG ($$$$$$$) one.

I agree that the axles and transfercases and what not are only rated to handle 31's but it is really just the pick of the bunch. I have a friend that has a 4 inch rancho suspension lift on 33's with the whole rest of the car stock. I have personaly seen that jeep jumped over curbs trees and everything else in between that would have been dangerous for dana 44's and his car is fine. Mabe hes just really lucky.

I say mod your own.

and, FWIW...

What tire size a stock drivetrain can handle depends greatly on the terrain it will be used in and the behavior and skills of the driver.

There are alot of Jeeps (CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, and LJ's) out there rolling on 33's without incident on a stock drivetrain. There also many that tried then needed to upgrade as they broke stuff.

TwistedCopper said:
There are alot of Jeeps (CJ's, YJ's, TJ's, and LJ's) out there rolling on 33's without incident on a stock drivetrain. There also many that tried then needed to upgrade as they broke stuff.

very true

I'd say build it up yourself.

But, you asked what's cheaper and there's no doubt that buying an already built rig is 'almost' always going to be cheaper.

i'm all for building it yourself... i think the saying is "real jeeps are built, not bought"

I am in the same boat you are in with my 1989 YJ that has a 4banger. Year or so I put a 3.5inch Fabtec lift on it and 35" tires. The rear axel made it 8 months before sheering the pinion gear off (was going way to hard up a hill trying to show off, lesson learned i guess). And am not just finishin up putting a D60 in the front and a GM 14bolt in the rear. Have had a hell of a lot of fun doing it.

Another thing to consider is your 2000 Jeep frame is MUCH stiffer and stronger than a CJ's.

Just my 2cents.

Bacon

Back