what's the difference in the cj's?

raser13

all right i'm going to make myself look real dumb here but it's been raking across my mind for the last week or so. what exactly is the difference between a cj 5,6,7,8, and a wrangler?? i figured it was motor size or suspension packages like on a f-150,250,350. but from what i've seen on the net they all have v-8's and straight 6's. and i just don't know enough to tell suspensions apart. so can someone please enlighten the new guy.

They all different body styles.

CJ-5 has the shortest wheel base of them all.
CJ-7 was closest to the 5 but longer wheel base.
Wrangler also has a few styles.
YJ leaf spring square head lights
TJ coil springs round head lights
JK the newest,widest,and longest wheelbase.

thanks for that. it clears up alot. it's hard to notice a few extra inches on a computer screen.(you can all stop giggling now) would most of the parts from one transfer onto another?? especially the CJ-7 to a CJ-5? and what about the wrangler? just trying to figure out my pool of j-yard parts donors.

The cj7 is 10" longer than the 5, the cj6 is like a stretched out cj5, the cj8(scrambler) is like a cj with a short truck bed. The leaf springs for the wrangler are longer and wider than the cj and provide a much better ride. People put wrangler springs in their cj,s offten. The tcases are different and will not interchange, the front axle on some wranglers are vac operated and even though its a dana 30 as is the cj,s front axle they are not interchangable. When you get parts for your cj, stick with cj parts, the two are not interchangable. YES! all engine and drivetrain parts are interchangable from the cj7 to the 5 with the exception of driveshaft lenghts. engines, trans, axles, tcases are interchangable except the bolt pattern for the 4cly is dif from the 6, and v8s.
The 81-86 cjs used wider axles than the 70,s models jeeps and are 3" wider and will bolt right into your jeep with no mods involved. let me clear a mistake I made, the 80,s jeeps used a dana 300 tcase and the 70,s used a dana 20, they are not interchable but can be used with an adapter.

Last edited:

At a quick glance you can tell a CJ5 has a small door opening vs the 7 has a large squared off door opening

Back