Whats up with the ABS light?

Tjrockx

I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee limited,When ever I drive in traffic,(alot of stop and go) My abs light comes on. Then after its parked for a little while it goes out. A friend of mine told me it comes on when the brakes heat up and goes out after they cool off. Is that the reason or do I have something else happening??

Thanks guys and ladies!

I couldn't tell you why it goes on and off like that but I would check the sensor for build up. You might be surprised how much stuff will cling to it. That is always the first place I check.

That would be a good place to start as William suggested however, if this ABS issue occurs during brake applications i would say that there might be something else causing this. My suggestion is to have it scanned for DTC's from a local parts store to get an idea where to start troubleshooting. The ABS system is electronically monitored, electronically pulsed but hydraulically actuated. The ABS consist of an HCU and a ABS module. The module controls and monitors the base brake system at all times with speed sensor inputs and pressure sensors within the HCU(hydraulic control unit). The HCU houses a pump motor and a series of valves thats separated into 3-4 circuits for each wheel thats called a dump valve. If any of these electronically actuated valves malfunctions, a dtc will set and likewise on the ABS module and speed sensors. Check the wirings as well, it might be that simple.

abs will also go on when the brakes are about to need changing or if low on fluid almost like another check engine light

abs will also go on when the brakes are about to need changing or if low on fluid almost like another check engine light
Thanks alot guys, since I just bought this thing,this weekend is my first weekend spinning wrenches and checking things over. I used to have a 78 cj7 and loved working on it so its kinda exciting to work on this thing. Can't wait to get it muddy.!!
thnks again for the input

Back