Wheel Bearing Question

thomasw

Where to find Ceramic Header for sbc swap?

Hey everyone, I was wondering how I would go about repacking or possibly replacing my wheel bearings (if the races were bad) on my 97 XJ 4x4, I don't want to take the easy way out by replacing the hub assembly, too much money and I have all day to do it! I read up on it in my Haynes manual, but they are really brief on the subject, what tools do i need and how to do it, thanks guys!

Can't disassemble the front hub assembly, it's only replaceable as a unit. Some have pulled them apart by mistakingly using slide hammers to remove the hub, but it's not correct.

There's 2 new ones for sale on www.naxja.org/forum in the for sale section, $100 each. Normally $125 each or more.

Used ones are $25 each in the local yard, that's the route I take.

yeah good idea bounty, most of the salvage yards, well pretty much all of them seem to have grand cherokees layin around instead of cherokees, my guess would be is that as long as those grands have D30's then I can take the hub assemblies off them correct? what year grands had D30s up front? thanks

All the ZJ's have the D30 with the sealed hub assembly.

Some jeepers have successfully drilled and tapped thier hubs to accept grease zerks so you can at least keep them packed as long as possible. You have to be very precise so you don't drill into a bearing race but it can be done.

Back