Wheel Choice- Aluminum vs. Steel

Steel Wheels or Aluminum

• Go steel for the durability

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Go aluminum for the weight savings

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • keep rusty steel wheels ya got on there & spend the cash on a bigger lift,lockers, a 4.0 conversion!

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

Roundlights

I know there may be a post already, but I could not find one that matched the question specifically.

I am looking into wheels for the TJ, and want to stick with black, which really limits me to steel wheels so far as I can tell.

Is there a HUGE difference in "rolling" weight between steel vs. alum.?

I am rolling a 2.5 & hope to slap 32's on.

Would a cold air intake & throttle body spacer make up the difference?

Thanks again!

There's a pretty big difference in rotating mass, and every bit makes a difference with the 2.5L. I'd buck up to aluminum if you're not too hard on parts offroad. If you want offroad durability stick with the steel.

Engine mods help quite a bit, I turn 32" Swamper TSL Radials with my 2.5" and stock gears, runs pretty strong. Can hold freeway speeds and got 19.5mpg this past weekend. I've got intake and exhaust mods, as well as an electric fan and performance cam.

I'll be getting black ones one of these days (I like the look, too). Kinda limits your options........................guess you know how I voted.

Yeah I'm with u and mud, black is the way to go. I've seen black aluminum wheels before but that was only becuase they were teflon coated. I'd go steel.
Mike

Go steel black. You can save enough money with steel rims to make a few mods to increase your ponies. I paid around $28 each for mine, I think, through Quadratec, for the 15x7's. Didn't notice any difference in power after putting them on.

Definately go with amuminum wheels if you are buying new ones. You can always paint them black if you want (Google VHT wheel paint). The difference will help offset the extra weight of the larger tires ;)

ON a side note, I have aftermarket steel wheels on my XJ. They were cheap and that's pretty much why I chose them. They serve the purpose but I wish I spent the $$$ for aluminum. Not only for the wieght but they are less likely to have imperfections as to trueness and balance.

Bounty__Hunter said:
got 19.5mpg this past weekend.

There was a time where you thought I was nuts for a claim like that, wasn't there Bounty? 8)

I have a set of black steel wheels for my snow tires and aluminum ones for my regular tires. There's not much of a weight difference at all between the two. The aluminum wheels are a lot thicker than the steel ones. If you're gonna be off roading it a lot and abusing it, then I'd go steel. At least steel bends where aluminum will bend very little then crack and break. Also if you live in an area that gets snow where they sand the roads and you buy a non painted aluminum wheel, you'll have a little more upkeep. The non painted aluminum wheels will start to corrode and pitt if they aren't washed and waxed regularly. Painted aluminum wheels will chip and corrode/pitt under the paint. Painted steel wheels will chip and rust. Both can be shotblasted and repainted easily but the steel will be easier to sand off the rust than taking out the pitting of an aluminum wheel.

The guy that does my tire and wheel mounting stopped me in the store last night and said he getting a set of black Jeep wheels like mine on a trade in the next week or so and will be selling them cheap, if I know anybody that wants them. I'm not sure exactly what brand or style, but if anyone's interested I could follow up with him.

Back