Wheel joints

Joop94

After removing retaining clips is there anything else special that needs to be done to remove wheel joints (universals) from front axle. Tried to beat them out with sledge hammer, but they won't budge. It's a 1994 and these are original. Suspect they are just rusted in. Any suggestions?

New speedo cable=no fix

You may need to press them out with a huge bench vice or a shop press.

i always put one side in a vice, which secures the joint... then i hammer on the beefiest part of the knuckle with a LARGE hammer until it starts to pop.... some heat and some PB may help you there

the easyest way I have found is to use a vice. open it up w/enough room to slide in the yoke and two sockets. one socket that will slide through on one side, and a socket that the cap will slide through on the other. crank the handle.........once the cap slides through the larger socket open it up and pull the cap off.........then push it back through and pull it out. oh yea dont forget to pull the snap rings out first. hope this helps

Thanks ya'll. I think ive got it on the run now! I have a super huge c clamp i think i can use as a press to remove the joints. i might not even have to remove the axle from the jeep to do it. I'll let you know what happens.

I use n2jeeps method, though when they have been in there a long time. They sometimes come out really hard. I´ve got a bent C-clamp and a broken cast iron bench vise. I´ve now got, a steel, bench vise that opens extra wide (picked up second hand). I paint a little copper grease or Lithium grease on the bearing caps before reassembly, makes next time much easier. Grease the wheel bearing cap/assembly, before reassembly also, same reason.

i suggest, when working with Ujoints to ALWAYS grease EVERYTHING up, and lightly sand the inside of the cap retainer with a VERY light sand paper, not to take material out, but to clean it of rust

Back