wheel spin

RookieJeeper

(89 Cherokee 4L 4WD dana 30 front, 35c rear)

not really anything technical, just a realization

ive noticed for the past 2 days that when i go around a corner, it seems like i'm not moving but i have my accelerator down, and it sounds like a wheel is spinning. then it finally dawned on me about something i read on the net the other day. it was referring to when 1 of your tires loses traction, all the power goes to that tire. i cant remember what they called it tho. [addsig]

Sounds like you're in 4 wheel drive to me...[addsig]

nope, its in 2 wheel
image-missing.png
it's the 'open differential' the term i was looking for[addsig]

I'm almost 100% sure that a 'open differential' reffers to a diff with no traction limiter in it. The allternative is a limited slip or locked diff. The limited slip is what will transfer the power to the wheel that has less traction. The factory open diff only supplies power to the same wheel all the time. Also termed a ' peg leg' (racing term) because it only gives power to the one wheel.

Then again I am new to the jeep game, so I could be wrong.[addsig]

i'm new myself, just bought my 89 a month-and-a-half ago or so. trying to find as much as possible. i think your right about the limited slip.[addsig]

I'm pretty sure this will work with jeeps, it does with most other makes.

With the rear on jack stands and the jeep turned off but in nuetral, turn the passeger side rear tire. If the driver's side turns in the same direction then you have a limitted slip, if it turns the opposite direction then you have an open diff.

This is much easier than opening the diff and looking. Although, if you just bought it and it has at least more than 50k on the odo, then you may want to do it and replace the gasket and put new fluid in it anyway.[addsig]

Gimme a call I can ship directly to you at the lowest price, we can't be beat. If you find something cheaper gimme a call, i'll meet or beat it. the number is 734-586-5294, ask for J.J. We specialize in BDS and many other suspension/bolt on accecories.

IT'S A JEEP THING!!!!!!

SOUNDS LIKE IT'S LOCKER TIME. [addsig]

Back