wheel/tire size...?

nsob0331

Hello all,

I recently purchased a not-so-new '95 YJ. It's got aftermarket rims which I measured out to be 16x9... It's got some worn out 27's on it and I'm trying to find out what size tires I should get to fit on these wheels. I heard that you can run 31's with minimal to no problems without a lift, so I want to run 31's, possibly GY Wrangler MT/R's. Obviously the vehicle is not lifted at this time, and won't be for about a year. What size tires should I be looking at to fit these rims without rubbing? Many thanks

i wouldnt go any higher than 31'' because i have a buddy who has 31'' tires with no lift and it gets pretty close to the fenders

Aye, I want to run 31's. The converted tire size for GY MT/R's is 30.5x9.6/16 (or LT245/75R16). Will this fit a 16x9 wheel?

Last edited:
Aye, I want to run 31's. The converted tire size for GY MT/R's is 30.5x9.6/16 (or LT245/75R16). Will this fit a 16x9 wheel?

yes, those will fit on those rims and those tires are just .5 inchs from being 31's which isnt noticeable

Hello all,

I recently purchased a not-so-new '95 YJ. It's got aftermarket rims which I measured out to be 16x9... It's got some worn out 27's on it and I'm trying to find out what size tires I should get to fit on these wheels. I heard that you can run 31's with minimal to no problems without a lift, so I want to run 31's, possibly GY Wrangler MT/R's. Obviously the vehicle is not lifted at this time, and won't be for about a year. What size tires should I be looking at to fit these rims without rubbing? Many thanks

If you look on the inside part of the spokes on the rim, it will tell you the rim size (this is the first step before you purchase a new tire in my opinion); Now, I had my '94YJ with no lift on 15" wheels with 31" tires, and it did rub on the street (never took it offroad, but it would only have gotten worse). In fact, this is how much clearance you will have if you do go with 31" tires (and keep in mind, MT tires are acutally larger in diameter than the street tires you see here!):

JeepLowRes-2.jpg

See how little clearance there is? With MTR's you would have about 1/2 an inch less... Now, I should probably mention that my springs were sagging pretty bad (they were starting to show negative arch), but yours, being a '95, I would suspect are not in exactly the best shape either...

Felipe

I would just install some 1 1/2" shackels. That should give you the clearence that you need. I ran into the same issue with my jeep. When I install my 31" I only had about an inch of clearence.

Last edited:

I would just install some 1 1/2" shackels. That should give you the clearence that you need. I ran into the same issue with me jeep. When I install my 31" I only had about an inch of clearence.

Lift shackles (anything more than 1") will change your differential angle (thus ruining your front driveline angles; critical for me because I have a TJ style front axle, which means it is rotating all the time, so vibes would surely be more of a factor in my case) and caster angles (what makes the jeep track straight and the steering wheel return to center when you let go of the wheel after a turn) too much for my taste; I would stay below 1" on the shackles, but maybe consider a 1" Body Lift if you want to keep it cheap (you can go the NHL way and do it REALLY cheap).

Again, I would not go more than 1" on a body lift, as it will put too much stress on the bolts, and could be dangerous in case of an accident, but that is my own opinion and some others have different opinions; you should make your own decisions for your Jeep (just be aware of the consequences).

Felipe

Back