which rear end?

First off the 30 is a front axle. The 8 1/4 in the 97 up has 29 spines and is good to about a 35. The older ones has 27 splines and is weaker than the Dana 35 which also has 27 splines. The 8 1/4 can only be geared as low as 4.56.

Duh. Brain fart; I know the 30 is front; I meant the 35. crap; I forgot about the spline count change on the 8-1/4. (meaning that my spare Sure grip won't fit my "new" Jeep.) the 8-1/4 is weaker than even a 35? I wouldn't have thought that. I've had many 8-1/4s over the years in various Dodges.

naaah; I don't need anything that steep; for my uses the 3.55s will be OK; (especially compared to the worthless 3.07s in my TJ)

just wondering, since I have 2 Cherokees here with 3.55s, and the one with the Dana 35 is destined for a strip job and the junkyard (once the insurance adjuster shows up and confirms the "total")
as long as the 8-1/4 is working as it should, would it be worth swapping the 8-1/4 for the dana?
I was looking forward to adding a posi,("Sure Grip") once I found out that the "new" Jeep had the 8-1/4 that is until I was reminded that 97 was the 1st year of the spline count change.
so, since the Sure Grip that I have sitting here is the "other" spline count, I guess I'll put it into my '78 Fury like I was going to originally.
I already have the front Dana 30 sold from the wreck, again pending the insurance company. I completely plan on buying it back if at all possible.

The tale of my 2 Cherokees has 1 just bought, because the other was just totalled, so as long as I have the chance, I was gonna swap all the "better" parts, into the "keeper". just trying to figure out which ones ARE better.

Main questions are that rear end and whether I could swap the 242 T case for the 231 that's in the "new" Jeep because my wife likes the "full time/part time" deal.

The 8.25 is a decent axle, even in the earlier 27spl version, and it is not weaker than a d35.

Go with the 8.25 over a 35 any chance you get.

I'd like to swap to a D 44 eventually; but since I don't have one laying around nor do I have an extra $350-400 (going price on CL) to go get one, so one of these will have to do.
Like I'd said I've had several 8-1/4s over the years; I have never owned anything other than Mopars or Jeeps; and I have never owned a front wheel drive (well I did run my 79 Ramcharger on just the front axle once about 20 years ago, long enough to get to the parts store for a set of U joints!) and yeah I've busted a couple 8-1/4s but usually they were just overworked/"tired" by then.

The 27 spline 8 1/4 necks down at the splines and is rated for 400 less foot pounds than the 35. Both junk in my opinion but it is slightly weaker.

I would go with a Ford 8.8 from a 97 or newer explorer. This is a little more work then the 8.25 but has disk brakes.

Back