will this work

blown XJ

i got a mid 80s jeep wagoneer giving to me.. no motor transmission or tcase.. the guy that gave it to me blew the 258ci 6 up and parted out the trann and tcase but the body is ok.. the parts listed below i have taking up room in my shop.
the plan:
chevy 56" springs in the front
chevy 63" springs in the rear
330hp 350ci v8
sm465 4 speed transmission.
chevy 205 tcase
eaton ho72 rear axle
for now i have a chevy d44 for the front
my question is really about gearing. the eaton has 4.10 i cant find someone willing to sell 4.56 or 5.13s for it yet and i have a set of 40" tsl. with the granny gear give me enough power for mud and trails?
will a dodge d60 work with a chevy tcase..

350 Shivvy?:shock::bomb::crazy::?| sell em and put either a Mopar 360, Big Block 383-440 or an AMC 360/401 under that hood.

The SM465 has a CRAZY low first/granny gear, I would think 4.10's with that transmission and 40's would be a great combo for mud, especially with a healthy 330 horse 350, sounds like it'll be a lot of fun once you get it put together. You might wanna try to beef up that D44 as much as you can, it won't like 40's. And I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure you can use a Dodge D60 with a Chevy t-case, but you can't use a Ford D60 with a Chevy t-case. I almost bought an ex military 1 1/4 ton Dodge truck that had a D60 front and D70 rear with 4.56's front and rear for $800, man I REALLY kick myself for not having the extra cash for that thing, I was gonna just yank the axles and put 'em in my '79 Chevy shortbed and part out the rest, I don't like older Dodge's for 'wheeling 'cause you have a hard time seeing over the hood in those things, plus Dodge parts are alot more expensive than Chevy, which is why I love Chevy's or at least Chevy drivetrains in other vehicles,lol. Good luck bud.

How about a nice AMC 360 T18A (6:1 first gear) NP208 along with the pedals, etc for $600 (in Seattle) That will work with Ford D60 front and won't require special adapters to fit.

the Dodge 60 will work, assuming it is from a W250 or W350. if it is from a 2500/3500 series truck it will not work (94 and after for the 1 tons I bellieve) the W series 60 is nearl;y identical to a chevy 60 with a couple small differences. The carriers, spindels, stubs, knuckles, bearing, and races are all interchangable. the difference is in the inner shaft lengths

Any pass. side drop 60 will be fine.

those springs are great springs to have, especially with a heavy full body rig like the fsj, you gonna have to get a little crafty with the front cross member and probably have to out board the hangers, but nothing too hard. the rear will be an easy swap with some longer shackles. plus you'll get a little more wheel base. your also gonna have to do some trimming to get the 40" tires to fit, but shouldn't be too hard.

the HO72 is a hidden gem in the off road world. it shares a lot of parts with the 14 bolt, IIRC, the 14 bolt carrier and shafts will swap over for even more beef. you might need to do a little searching though on gears, I simply do not recall.

as for your transmission... How clean is the interior? your gonna have interfierence with the dash and the shifter. 2 solutions, re-angle the shifter which can work but give you some funky shift throws or go to an auto. the auto might have less gearing, but better in the long run. The clutch pedal ass. from a Jseries should bolt up to the fire wall.

the interior umn what interior comlpetely gutted.. its an empty shell.. i kno i will have to trim but i wanted it low as possible.. there are some pretty steep sdehills on the trails i run.. but i wanted at least a 40 for ground clearence..
as for the transmission.. it will not be an auto for 2 reasons. one i dont have an auto. two i cant seem to drive and auto for more then a few weeks and it dies.. i love manuals it will stay.

why will the newer dodge (+94) work?

jps4jeep said the newer d60 wont work. just wondering why not? is it just because they switched to coils?

won't work with a chevy t-case, diff is on the wrong side.

also the coil bucket is cast into the diff housing meaning you will have to run a HUGE perch to clear it with leafs or outboard the springs a good disance.

Plus they are semi float axles with puny joints and problem-matic wheel bearings.

Not the best pic, but it was the first that came up, yo ucan see the drivers side diff, also you might be able to see the coils semi on the diff.. Very similar to how the leaf pad is on all other D60

Attachments

• 129_0104_01z+1998_Dodge_Ram+Front_Driver_Side_View.jpg
    129_0104_01z+1998_Dodge_Ram+Front_Driver_Side_View.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 162

ok well then the axle i thought was a good sounds like alot of work

Back