WJ questions

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
Background cliff notes - one thing I have always been addiment about is not owning a jeep with out a frame.. well, I came across a killer deal on a 01 WJ. a hair over 70K miles, 4.7 v8, leather, has a blown brake line, and has been sitting for about 8 months due to a family death. it was owned by my MIL's friends mother. so for $3000 it's all mine, so gonna toss it on the trailer, drag it home, fix the brakes, perform a crap load of maintenance it probably needs and then drive it to save some miles on my tow rig.

Questions - how drivable is a wj with a 2" spacer lift and shocks and nothing else. I don't have the jeep yet, so I am unsure if I can re-drill the track bars or not. are the rear shaft angles going to give me any vibs at only 2"

also anyone have a wj with 2" life and 31" tires or 265.75r16/17? I figure I am gonna have to do some trimming. pics? feedback? I figure the 4.7, 31" tires with a K&N and cat back should be fine with out a re-gear.

THX!

Thanks

You should be fine with a 2" lift. There were 3 options for the tire size offered from the factory,TIRE P225/75R16 TIRE P245/70R16 TIRE P235/65R17
As for the track bar, what i've seen is a bracket that lets you use the original trackbar with a suspension lift. Your probbably better off to fab it yourself.
For the vibration concern im not sure. Most of the ones i've driven with a lift on a WJ was vibrations caused by the tires.
Two styles of front propeller shafts are used on this vehicle. The 4.7L engine propeller shaft uses a single cardan U-joint at the axle end and a double cardan U-joint at the transfer case end. The rest uses a Constant Velocity (C/V) joint at both the axle and transfer case end of the propeller shaft. The C/V joint at the axle end contracts and extends (plunges) as necessary to accommodate the variations in length necessary due to suspension travel. The C/V joint at the transfer case end of the propeller shaft is fixed. The two C/V joints are connected by a hollow tube shaft. The shaft length is not adjustable and does vary according to application.

Thanks Mikey..

you don't happen to know off hand what the gearing options were with the 4.7?

I have some pics she sent me, I'll post em up. I have not even seen it yet, but the price was right.

pics

70K miles, decently optioned, 3 grand... I think it is a good deal. probably another $400 in work to get it perfect; change all fluids(engine, transmission, tcase, diffs), filters (same except the diffs), coolant flush, plugs, wires other random sensors... I have a catalytic converter I took off my YJ, less than 2000 miles on it, so I toss it on this and then probably throw a cat back system at it. Drive it for a little to see if it is a keeper of a flipper then a spacer lift, some 31's, either the rims that are on it or the 17" chrome 5 stars that came on the 02-04 wj's... they look like American Racing torqu thrust rims..

Attachments

• Front_Jeep.jpeg
    Front_Jeep.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 216
  • Back_Jeep.jpeg
    Back_Jeep.jpeg
    57.4 KB · Views: 214

On a 198 RBI(Iron) there's these options from the factory ,3.07, 3.31, 3.55, 3.73, 4.11. On the 226 RBA(aluminum) are 3.55, 3.73 . Is the tag gone from the cover?. BTW, that's a nice looking GC. If i bump in to one of the guys i know here who has a lift on his WJ, i'll take pics of his mods on the suspension.

thanks! The person selling flaked out on me, I was supposed to get it sunday, but she had her nieces sweet 16 party the day before and wasn't in the mood ??? then I left for a business trip sunday night, so I have to go get it on friday. not sure on the rear, I'll check once I see it.

Back