WTF did I get myself into...lol

MT_D

Ok I have a '89 Jeep YJ Auto, 6cyl.. I bought a '94 ZJ that was rolled so the top is all caved in, but it starts and runs. I want the engine from the ZJ put in my YJ because of the fuel injection and only 40k miles. I spent the last few days with a saw cutting the body off the ZJ. I have been tring to research this transplant but I get all kinds of yes and no's for everything. You guys seem to have the most consistant answers so let me run it by you. Im looking at two options.
1) Do a full swap eng,tran,transfer. Will it directly transfer? Ive tried to measure and it seems the same maybe diffrent mounts.

2) Just the eng. I've been told its a direct transfer. What sensors do i need to keep and will the ecu self adjust?

While I'm bugging you guys The YJ came with a body lift. I hate body lifts. The original body pucks are still there so I plan to lower the body back down I pulled one of the bolts and matched up the size but what lenght do I need? I have a new rough country lift kit coming that will give me my tire and ground clearance. Im still tring to decide on 33s or 31s the main thing keeping me from 33s is cost anyone know where I can get cheap 33s?:D

Then engine should bolt right in, but double check the pilot bushing in the flywheel to make sure they're the same size. Any difference and you may need a different or custom pilot bushing.

Which model transfer case did the Grand have? The full-time units are problematic and undesirable.

I don't think your YJ transfer case will bolt to the Grand auto transmission due to different spline counts and lengths between the transfer case input shafts.

<I spent the last few days with a saw cutting the body off the ZJ.

[quiver]

<I have been tring to research this transplant but I get all kinds of yes and no's for everything.

the universe is indeed a vast and wond'rous place

<YJ came with a body lift. I hate body lifts.

there's a rear inner fender fastener that tucks behind the frame rail... you lift the body so you can get at it... likely the same designer whiz that thought dropping the gas tank to get at the sender and pump ground would be a smooth idea.

put the saw down

I would think swapping the engine/trans/x-fer case would be the smoothest as long as you have the whole beast for a loaner the computer & sensors would all go with the swap & would be happy in their new home. Besides the mounts I would assume you would need new driveshafts,but wait til the lift is done...you mighht get away with the ZJs shafts too. Just my opinion....Opinions are like armpits...everybody has a couple & a lot of them stink.

I was kind of hoping to do just an engine swap, but I figured while I have the whole eng, trans, and xfer I could play musical parts and see what lines up with what. The xfer on the ZJ is not the full time. I have the full rebuild kit for the ZJ eng. I figured while its out might as well hone it, put bearings and rings in. Anyway thanx for the input.:D

Back