WTF is that noise?

JeepNaked

Continuous low/med volume squeel......until I press in the clutch pedal..... buddy said throwout bearing? Is this a sign of needing a new clutch? No other symptoms other than the noise. Been steady squeelin for about a week. I'm not overly concerned, just annoyed, and curious if it is typically a pre-cursor to worse problems or nothing to worry about. If its nothing to worry about, is there anything I can do about it? Stop the squeel?

Could very well be the throwout bearing. I actually have a 96 ranger that did this, would squeal from time to time. Then one day I started it to move and it was the loudest I ever heard so I shut it off, let out on the clutch, went to press the clutch again to start it and it was harder than a rock. Turns out the TB went bad and had seized itself to the output shaft on the trans.

Holy cow. Hmmm. I might want to look into changing that out pretty quick then! Lol. What a pain in the buttocks. Did you change it out yourself? If so, what was the damage to the shaft? I'm not weighing options here lol, just curious. It needs changing so ill change it out. Clutches aren't to bad and while I'm at it ill just replace everything else in there.

Had that same issue on my 04 wrangler. Squealing then it locked up. Only real damage was the throwout bearing snapped the transmission from bearing cover. The piece the tb actually rides up and down on. Had a hard time finding a place that varied the cover. Once I found it, it was smooth sailing from there.

I ended up having a shop do mine since I didn't have the time because we had just built a house and I was moving everything at the time. They told me the damage wasn't really that bad, said they just use a little sand paper to smooth it out, havent had a problem since and I've got probably around 2k miles on it now. I already had a new clutch, pressure plate, TB, and new slave. Was saving it for my 93 splash for my 4.0 swap but this truck needed it more since it's my work truck. I think all in all the shop did everything, resurfaced the flywheel and such for 300, the new clutch, Pp, TB and new slave were only 200 bucks from advanced.

Back