Yep another lift question

warrior

:?: Ok here we go again. I have a 72 CJ5 with a 304. I have a 4" susp. lift and a 2" body lift. I have 33" tires. Ok heres the question. I have four lift shackles that are about 1 1/2" lift. The only reason that I want to put them on is for one, I have them, two, I want to get those wimppie stock shackles off. Can I put these shackles on without having to lower the transfer or mess with any of the other stuff. Right now everything is fine and no problems with anything lining up. So can I run these 1 1/2" shackles with the 4" susp. and the 2" body with no problems. :?:
Any help will be great!
Thanks
Warrior

4" of lift (suspension) is the max height without any needed driveline modification. At least that is the case with YJ's but I'd say at 5.5" of total lift you definately should at least do a SYE,CV driveshaft.. 1 1/2" lift shackles are a bit much in my opinion. I'd just get a stock length set of shackles if you want to get rid of the old ones.

DITTO.
If you got plenty of room for those 33's and, as you say, "Right now everything is fine and no problems with anything lining up", then I would leave well enough alone. Sell those lift shackles to someone. If you feel that your stock shackles are too weak, make a pair. I made some for free... well, except for my time and a can of Rustoleum.

C

It doesn't take too long to put on shackles. Give it a try if you want. You can always go back, as long as you don't have to cut the old shackles off. I think you risk having a problem in back before the front, so maybe just do the back ones first. Body lift shouldn't have anything to do with the driveline angle. And I don't think your CJ has a slip yoke, so an SYE probably isn't in order.

Having the lift shackles might reduce the drivetrain vibration a little, when you install lift shackles on the rear, it changes the pinion angle ever so slightly, similar to adding a extra shim to the rear end. now is the shackle 1.5" longer than factory, or is it a 1.5" lift shackle?

I had a similar setup on a 79 CJ5, but it had a 3" body lift and 1" shackle lift. It was a mud racer on 39s(hacked wheel openings and articulation limiting traction bars). I had no problems with the skidplate lowered 1". The other difference is you have a D44 rear, where I was running an AMC20. The 44s pinion is about an inch longer if I remember right, so that might cause some problems. The main concern is what transmission you have. The three speed I was running was really short.

Well I agree with you guys, I think that I am going to leave it alone. I will just make a set of shackles that are heavier but stock length. I dont really want to get into dropping everything. Its not broke so dont want to fix it. I will just sell the lift shackes to YBNORML for his CJ7 :lol: . I did get my new sliders built and put on, they turned out pretty sweet, I will try to get some pics later.
Thanks for all the help.
Warrior

Stick with stock length HD shackles. Longer shackles will induce a lot of wander in your steering as it decreases the amount of caster.

Remember that a lift shackle will only lift half of the difference in height between it and the stock shackle.

Ok, not to steal Warrior's thunder or anything :) but I have question about the Tcase drop. I have a YJ and thinking about a 3.5" susp. lift for it. Do I need the Tcase drop?

Back