yet more questions about lockers

blown XJ

i have a have the dana 35 rear axle with the stock limited slip in it. i have heard that if you have the ls you cant istall and locker. is this true???

yea i have seen alot of locker options but alot of them say wthey wont work in your axle was equiped witht he liminted slip

Its a clearance issue I know that ARB makes one for the different housings.
Now wanting to spend any amount on a Dana 35 for an XJ is the real question. You know that the Dana 35 axle is an inherently weak axle and prone to failure? The axle shafts are prone to snapping at the neck down point where the splines start. The Axel tubes are prone to bending if not trussed.
Even with upgrades out there 4140 axle shafts, trusses, the cost of upgrading the axle is near the same cost of getting a waggy Dana 44 redone with a locker installed.

You can buy a power-trax lunchbox locker. they make one to fit the LS case but they are alot more $$ then a lock-rite and are the same thing except have bigger diameter side sleeve to match the case.

i have a have the dana 35 rear axle with the stock limited slip in it. i have heard that if you have the ls you cant istall and locker. is this true???

You can still install a locker. You will NOT be able to install a lunch-box locker with the limited slip. You would need to get an open differential and install the lunch-box in it then put it in the axle, the rear end would need to be set up again. If you have an open differential already, all you need to do is pull it out, slap the lunch-box in it and re-install it without having to set the axle up.

Back