YJ air restrictor removal mod

Much of the stock airbox design is to minimize intake noise.

I can't think of any downside to removing it.

Any time you can get more air to the engin and get more exaust out more freely you are doing good. I too can not see a down side to ths mod. I even went as far as taken a hole saw and putting in more intake area in the stock air box and a drop in K&N filter is worth it's weight in gold. tug

I don't know if there's any truth to this but I remember reading a post somewhere a few years ago that the restrictor that is in there has something to do emissions and fuel return when idling cold. I think it said something about it damaging the charcoal canister over time if it's removed and it'll eventually cause it to leak somehow. I've had mine out since the first week I had my jeep which I got almost 4 years ago without any problems what so ever.

ax-5 problems

nope... definitely has nothing to do with damaging anything...

Doing the install on my R/T for shaved door handles

after you remove it you should disconect your battery for an hour or so, then hook it back up...that will let the computer reset and I noticed a decent difference, I removed both restrictors and made my intake hole bigger.....but that wasn't enough for me, I got an intake now and love it.........don't know if it added alot of hp or anything but sounds really cool

Just yanked my restrictor out last night after reading this post. Couldn't tell a whole lot of difference, maybe some. Sounds pretty cool now! I think the next step is a larger intake hole, then I'll move on to the $$ side of that particular area of mods.

Dave, also another cheap way to make some more power would be to remove the potion of air duct that is flexible and replce with some scd 80 pvc piping.

Corvette MC on CJ7 booster?

jps4jeep said:
Dave, also another cheap way to make some more power would be to remove the potion of air duct that is flexible and replce with some scd 80 pvc piping.

Would that be to provide a smoother inside chamber to help the air to flow better? I can see how the "ruffled" edges of the flex tube could impede airflow somewhat.

i got a k&n filtercharger off ebay for $45. sounds pretty mean and i guess it adds horsies

Bounty__Hunter said:
Check out www.rustysoffroad.com for airtubes and conical K&N kits in the $60 range, great performance increase over all the above mentioned mods, even the drop-in K$N filter.

Do they make them for the 4 cyl YJ? I tried looking at Rusty's, but for some reason my ISP is ssssllllloooooowwwwwwwwww this morning (kinda like me) and it wouldn't load. I've looked in a couple other places and never found anything for the YJ 2.5L engine......

Paragon, columbus weekend oct 9&10

That ribbing is used to quiet the intake by slowing down the air. When you remove it you get that hissing sound, similar to the sound a turbo makes when spooling up. but because your not slowing the air down, it rushes into the TB quicker.

Boston Jeeo already has a K&N, I should know, I sold it to him, and installed it (what a friend I am)

Dave, swing by the crib some time. we will make you a cold air intake a-la-Johnny Style!! (also for less than $10)

remove the restrictor and get a K&N drop in. cheapest way and a cone is not that much more efficient.

also leaves making a snorkel easier.

I've run 4 tanks of gas through my YJ since pulling the restrictor and I'm getting between 20 and 22 mpg in it now, as opposed to 18 to 19 mpg before!! Good enough for me!!

I've run 4 tanks of gas through my YJ since pulling the restrictor and I'm getting between 20 and 22 mpg in it now, as opposed to 18 to 19 mpg before!! Good enough for me!!

Good thing to know, Sparky. Guess I'm going to have to pop the hood on the Mrs. YJ!

I have had the same results as Sparky!! I've put in 6 tanks and am at an avg of 20-21 mpg over the 17-18 mpg I typically got before the mod. Sweet love!

Back