yj is overheating again!!!

95yj

RE: Got in an Accident

hey all,well ive got a nice one for ya,ive got a 95 yj 4.0 and i wont stop overheating,well not bad overheating,215 and a little over,ive changed the thermostat(160),threw in a twin electric fan ,the coolants new,and the pump aint leaking so i dont think its the pump,wat else could it be?,oh and the radiater is about 2yrs old,ive ran out of ideas!!

Are you sure the gauge is correct? Buy a candy thermometer at the cooking section of Wal Mart (one that will go up past 250*) and check the temp at the radiator. YJ's are notorious for having guage problems (so I hear). Besides, 215 ain't too bad. Mine runs a constant 210, as do many other Jeep models straight from the factory, both 4 and 6 cylinder engines.

Re: is this trouble?

Hi-Ya 95yj,

Rare, but it happens: a collapsing hose on the suction side of the cooling system. You might have noticed coil springs inside of some radiator hoses: typically, bottom radiator hoses. The slinkys are placed into suction-side radiator hoses to prevent hose collapse. Those internal coil springs can and do corrode and fail.

Possibly a replacement hose without a spring was inadvertently installed..

Check the bottom radiator hose (and all others) for full or partial collapse when the engine is overheating.

That said, I agree with Sparky-Watts and don't see your temp as all that high.

I do, however, challenge the popular wisdom of installing low-temp thermostats by way of compensating for an overheating problem. Doing that can throw off the various engine temperature sensors and prevent proper operation of the temperature sensitive/triggered engine pollution control system(s), which in turn can cause an engine to run badly – so badly that the engine overheats when under load.

Regards,

Gadget

cool,ill go buy a thermometer,some slinky hoses,and try putting a stock temp stat,thanx, ill get back asap

check the radiator. They are famous for pluged ratiators after 100k. I'm working on #2---#3 in about another yr...

I agree on using a factory recommended thermostat like the 195º. A cooler thermostat won't do anything for the normal operating temp of the jeep.

I recently installed an all-metal 2core radiator in my '95 2.5L YJ and I rarely have to turn the electric fan on. I got rid of the mech. fan. Runs right at 210º or a tad below all the time.

You may want to try a coolant additive like Redline's Water Wetter or Royal Purple's additive. Reports coolant temp reductions of up to 30º.

Back