yj not running properly

flyboy

This is not Flyboy but I am a friend who has a 89 YJ 4.2. Right now I'm not really happy. My Jeep will not idle proprely the dam thing will run good at about 1000 rpm's sometimes however most of the time all it wants to do is stall. And itb doesn't matter if the engine is warm or cold!! Any help would be great.

Have you checked all of the vacuume lines? Fule filter? Air filter? Throttle possion sensor, if it is injected right?

Not injected however have changed fuel filter air filter has not been change in a while so I'll start there and see what happens

If the engine does not idle properly, the first thing I'd do is clean the Throttle Body, Idle air control (IAC) motor, and its passageways. If a good TB cleaning doesn't solve the problem, check the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) for proper operation.

-Nick :!:

:? 89 4.2, definately sounds like the infamous carter carb problem. I recommend a search of this site for any and all carb issues. The knowledge you will gain will enlighten you towards your Jeep yet frustrate you towards your carb. I know from experience with my 89. :shock: Good luck!

Those things are notorious for carb problems. A guy I work with is replacing his carb with a weber now!

It's that POS carb, I'd replace it with the Motorcraft which several jeepers here have done. Search the other posts on this forum for info.

His jeep doesn't have all the sensors you guys mentioned.

Back