YJ or TJ or...other TJ?

haven_seeker

Hey everybody!

Allow me to introduce myself...I'm 23 years old, and grew up at an early age. My first car was a '94 Buick Lesabre, and just last year I sold that off and bought a much newer 2004 Lesabre.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love that car. But I've never done anything really exciting in my life, and I want to buy a Jeep. And I'm not buying the Jeep to make it look pretty and drive it around town, I want to lift it, get the right suspension kit and tires, and take the thing for a spin out in the mud.

With that being said, I'm looking at three options. Right now there are a few vehicles for sale in my area (I'm in Canada and the prices always seem to be higher here), and this is what I am trying to decide from:

1988 YJ
Rebuilt with 128,000KM (79 500 miles)...new transmission, new body mounts, new winch, new exhaust, hard/soft top, and paint job. It's got a manual transmission, which I don't know how to drive, but I'm told it's pretty easy. He wants $5K, and it looks sharp. The square headlights don't bother me one bit; after seeing this Jeep, I almost prefer them! I would have to get a lift kit for sure, and bulkier tires. (I included a pic of this one for you guys to see)

2003 TJ Rubicon
102,000KM (63 400 miles), pretty much bone stock, and priced @ $13K, I would have to lowball it to leave me some money to buy the upgrades. Stock everything, but well taken care of, and never been through the mud. I love the idea of the factory locking axles; I've heard from other people that they are a complete life saver. It also has an auto transmission, which I'm already well acquainted with.

2005 TJ Rubicon
50,000KM (31 000 miles), this Jeep has it all including auto transmission. Loaded with upgrades, 37" swampers, heavy duty winch, fully upgraded suspension, rhino interior, KC spots, you know that with all these upgrades this thing has seen some action. Whereas the other 2 Jeeps may have never seen the bush (or if so, very little of it), this one has pretty much lived in there, and he wasn't afraid to tell me that. He wants a negotiable $18K, but the thing that's appealing about this one is that everything is already done.

What should I do? I want to take this in the bush, I want to have fun with it, and before I take this thing to a dealer when something breaks, I will be trying to repair it first. I'm not a mechanic, but I've heard that these things are pretty easy to work on with the right manual, and if need be, the internet.

Thanks for listening!

Attachments

• Jeep YJ.jpeg
    Jeep YJ.jpeg
    57.3 KB · Views: 238

IMO the Rubicon package is not worth the extra money. I know there are those who think it is and that is their opinion which is fine. I think the price on the YJ is rather high, and the shackle lift sucks. A few years ago I bought my 98 TJ sahara 4.0, 5 spd, no top or doors at all for $3500 and drove it home. So I would either low ball the YJ or keep looking for a better deal through a private party. The way I look at buying used vehicles is you have a 50% chance a private party is lying about the condition. You know for %100 that the dealer is always lying to you.

Last edited:
IMO the Rubicon package is not worth the extra money. I know there are those who think it is and that is their opinion too. I think the price on the YJ is rather high, and the shackle lift sucks. A few years ago I bought my 98 TJ sahara 4.0, 5 spd, no top or doors at all for $3500 and drove it home. So I would either low ball the YJ or keep looking for a better deal through a private party. The way I look at buying used vehicles is you have a 50% chance a private party is lying about the condition. You know for %100 that the dealer is always lying to you.

That's a really good outlook on buying used...I've never thought of it that way lol.

I've heard that locking differentials is a life saver though when you get caught in sticky situations, and I've seen videos online where lockers would've greatly increased someone's abilities in climbing where there isn't always 100% of each tire grabbing onto something.

It's a bit more money, but I think if I'm buying something in the newer range (03-06), from what I've seen and heard it sounds like a pretty good investment.

I just went and had a look at the YJ just now, the interior needs a bit of TLC, but the body is in great shape. I didn't really get a good look at the undercarriage, but underneath the wheel wells it looks fairly good. Noticed a big pipe coming out the back end, too, lol...Probably sounds nice.

Oh boy this will open a can of worms.
I do not deny having lockers, and D44 axles are a good thing, they most certainly are. The Rubi D44 front axle is a hybrid between a D30/D44, it is weaker in several areas than a true D44. The Rubi locker is a good locker compared to an OEM limited slip, but the Rubi locker is not as good as an aftermarket locker like an ARB, Detroit, or OX in a true D44. I believe I understand the production and cost decisions that played into choosing these parts.
For the money Jeep wants for the Rubi option package you can get true D44 axles, ARB's, and a 4:1 t-case w/SYE for less money and have stronger parts to boot. I am not denying the Rubi is a very capable arguably the most capable Jeep offered from the factory. But the price is steep for what you are getting. IMO the Rubi option package seems tailored for those whom price is no option and want to order a capable Jeep from the dealer v/s building a Jeep and having the satisfaction, pride, and sense of accomplishment that comes with building your own Jeep.
I realize that I am comparing new prices and you are looking at used Jeeps, but a premium price for the Rubi option package is still there.
I hope that came out right and didn't sound condescending toward Rubi owners as that is not my intention.

Last edited:

IMHO I would go with a TJ,no lift,for now.If you you do not have experience with a jeep or off roading.With a TJ you can fit 31" tires under and wheel it with stock suspension.Then when you get the hang of it put the lift on with bigger tires.As far as getting a rubi it really depends on how much you want to dump into the jeep later.If you plan on keeping the stock axles the rubi is a nice consideration.If you plan on throwing ever mod at it and want it bullet proof i would buy a regular TJ.As posted earlier the rubi is nice but not made with the best parts in the world.

I would go with the 03 Rubi; the engine will be stronger (IIRC, the YJ was stil carb for that year; not sure, though) and less worn out. The other reason is that, well, ussually built rigs get used, and you dont know if they were used or abused. A stocker (even if wheeled) typically sees less stress (put on the drivetrain by larger tires) and the terrain tends not to be as bad as a built rig. You can also then choose to go in the direction of build you want to take, not a direction decided for you...

I would go with the 03 Rubi; the engine will be stronger (IIRC, the YJ was stil carb for that year; not sure, though) and less worn out. The other reason is that, well, ussually built rigs get used, and you dont know if they were used or abused. A stocker (even if wheeled) typically sees less stress (put on the drivetrain by larger tires) and the terrain tends not to be as bad as a built rig. You can also then choose to go in the direction of build you want to take, not a direction decided for you...

Excellent point which I agree with. Jeeps that are already loaded tend to be used more than a stock one would. You dont just shell out thousands of dollars to drive it on the road (at least I hope not). I would go with the stock Rubi just because its stock. I bought my jeep stock and love the dam thing. Its better to buy stock and build from the ground up. That way you appreciate and know what went into your jeep. As apposed to just buying a loaded one and driving off into the mud, sand, snow, whatever; and not really appreciating what the hell your driving. Remember its a Jeep :D. Good luck with the Jeep search. Hope you find the one just for you.:)

Excellent point which I agree with. Jeeps that are already loaded tend to be used more than a stock one would. You dont just shell out thousands of dollars to drive it on the road (at least I hope not). I would go with the stock Rubi just because its stock. I bought my jeep stock and love the dam thing. Its better to buy stock and build from the ground up. That way you appreciate and know what went into your jeep. As apposed to just buying a loaded one and driving off into the mud, sand, snow, whatever; and not really appreciating what the hell your driving. Remember its a Jeep :D. Good luck with the Jeep search. Hope you find the one just for you.:)

Well said.

I agree whole heartedly with what has been said about built Jeeps being used and abused v/s buying a stock Jeep and building it. That is more or less what I was eluding to in my long post. The TJ I bought was totally stock, which was a huge selling point for me.
Here is a pic of the TJ when I bought it for $3500, and then started my build.

Attachments

• Jeep TJ 006.jpg
    Jeep TJ 006.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
Before I go any further, if you look at the YJ again before buying make sure you climb under it and inspect every little nook and cranny for rust. I've seen YJ with a showroom-quality body that were literally falling apart in the frame. Don't worry about a little bit of exterior rust on drivetrain components, this is normal, and they can be repainted with a clicker-can for next to nothing anyways.

That being said ... I would personally go for the YJ, but I'm a bit biased. I just love those square headlights :D I also love the way the dashboard is designed; it's blocky and rugged. But that's just me. Besides, you've got to have a manual. They're just so much more fun to drive.

One detractor from the YJ for me is that it is an '88 model. If I had a choice I'd rather one closer to '95. Many people say that '95 is the best YJ year to have, and I have to agree, having one myself.

Another detractor is that it already has lots of wrench-time on it. Don't get me wrong, I bought my YJ with mods. But... to quote Han Solo... I've made a lot of special modifications myself. Part of the fun of having a Jeep is adding/changing stuff yourself and making it your own.

On the flip side, the rebuilt motor is a big plus, so long as it runs good and was done right. New transmission is another big plus. New exhaust, body mounts, paint job? That's just epic icing on the cake.

The fact that it comes with both soft AND hard top would be a big plus for me. Those hard tops sure do come in handy in the winter. I'd try to talk him down to $3500. If he won't take that, try $4000. And if he won't take that, I would probably give him the $5000 he's asking for it. To me, that YJ seems like it's a decent deal.

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I'm still a bit torn between the 03 Rubi and the YJ. If I was more mechanically oriented, I think the YJ would be a no-brainer, especially if I can talk the guy down to $3500 or so.

I know for a fact that the YJ has been sitting in a yard for about 6-8 months now (4 of which are winter)...Is that going to be a serious problem?

And as for the interior, I can't really say I'm a fan, as I'm used to pretty fancy interiors and that has to be the most spartan I've seen in my whole life. With that being said, however, I can spruce it up, so I'm not too worried about it.

And when we're talking upgrades and repairs, is there an easy go-to source for that kind of assistance? Or am I already at the best place? :p

There will probably be other TJ's and YJ's available as I get closer to spring. I'm thinking about buying early April...but that YJ @ $3500 seems to hold a lot of potential...

Thanks for all the responses guys!

I'm still a bit torn between the 03 Rubi and the YJ. If I was more mechanically oriented, I think the YJ would be a no-brainer, especially if I can talk the guy down to $3500 or so.

Don't worry about not being mechanically inclined. That will come if you own a Jeep :D It's really not hard to do your own repairs. Haynes manuals cost about $15 and will help you with whatever you can't figure out on your own. You can get a half-decent tool set for about $100, a Hi-Lift jack for around $60, and a pair of good jack stands for about $40. That stuff will be pretty much all you'll need to do maintenance on your Jeep. Jeeps are also some of the easiest vehicles to work on ever made.

I know for a fact that the YJ has been sitting in a yard for about 6-8 months now (4 of which are winter)...Is that going to be a serious problem?

It shouldn't be. Make sure it cranks up and runs/drives well before buying, of course. But if it cranks up and runs good, it's probably fine. If you do buy it, change out the fluids (engine oil, engine coolant, transmission oil, refill the tank with fresh fuel) as soon as you can. It also might not be a bad idea to get some fuel and oil additives and use them. But otherwise, it should be fine.

And as for the interior, I can't really say I'm a fan, as I'm used to pretty fancy interiors and that has to be the most spartan I've seen in my whole life. With that being said, however, I can spruce it up, so I'm not too worried about it.

Eh... Jeeps have never really been much for creature comforts. But yes, the interiors definitely have potential. YJs in particular have lots of "unused" dash space, where you can mount stuff if you need it. I'm actually planning to build a carputer for my YJ this year, I'm gonna mount a 7" touchscreen right on the flat part above the gauges in the middle. It's not being used for anything important so I figure why not? And there's always stuff you can get for a good stereo system. Mod pods, quad pods, subwoofers built into consoles... the list goes on.

And when we're talking upgrades and repairs, is there an easy go-to source for that kind of assistance? Or am I already at the best place? :p

If you want info on upgrades and how to perform them, this place is excellent for that. We have some real knowledgeable people here, and I can say that from experience; they have saved my ass a few times :D

If you're talking about where to buy upgrades, Quadratec is probably the best place I've used for new stuff. For used stuff, Ebay and craigslist are your best friends, but I always try to get new upgrades if I can afford them. Or I just build those upgrades myself if it's feasible... heh...

There will probably be other TJ's and YJ's available as I get closer to spring. I'm thinking about buying early April...but that YJ @ $3500 seems to hold a lot of potential...

It's never a bad idea to wait and see what comes along, but remember that Jeeps are mainly summer toys. Depending on where you live they may go up in price the closer you get to summer. They do around here. We have relatively mild winters so there's not much need for 4WDs unless you want to use them for recreation.

Last edited:

I have a 92 YJ and absoutely love it. You can do so much with them and with the I6 it has ample power. The only thing that I am leary of in it would be the D35 rear end. Other than that its a solid rig with tons of potential.

Kind of new at this but I bought my 99 TJ stock with 34K miles on it. I have had nothing but fun building it up myself, That is why I come here for advise from the real jeepsters. Whatever you buy have fun and don't be afraid to turn a wrench you can't' hurt much. It is so much fun to look though those catalogs and see what you can't afford.

Back