YJ owners

kosmo

I own a 79 CJ-5 . I am going to get a YJ for the wife. I want one with a little bit of lift and a little bigger tires. Do they make YJ's with 6 cylinder engines What are problems to look for. If I get one with high miles do they still hold together good. For example my CJ has a gozillion miles and am only going to replace the carb plug wires yadda yadda no major engine problems. Any advice would be appreciated[addsig]

P.S. what is the difference between Laredo and wrangler[addsig]

All YJs are Wranglers, the Laredo was an options package that included some stuff such as chrome bumpers and fancy trim on the paint.

YJs had few versions of the I6... earliest was the 4.2l w/ a carb, then came the 4.0 Fuel Injected.. then they started offering a 4.0 HO engnie that had heads with larger ports on them to put out about another 20 hp. You can usually tell if the Jeep has this by looking for the HO sticker under one of the rear tail lights.[addsig]

In my opinion I would stick with the 4.0. In my experinces the 4.0s tend to have more miles with less problems. I belive that 4.2 was replaced by the 4.0 in 92' not to sure but i think that's what it is. Good luck with the new jeep, Jeeper W.[addsig]

Back