yj tilt column loose

sledd

My column in my YJ seems to be getting loose and it seems to be something inside.It wiggles up and down quite a bit.The two nut underneath the dash and the firewall nuts and bolts are all tight.Does anyone have any ideas?Thanks.....

You will need to remove the steering wheel, steering lock plate and retainer, horn button connector, turn signal switch and ignition tumbler. Remove the spring cup on the tilt column with a large phillips screw driver and pull the spring out. Remove the the tilt pins on both sides and pull the upper column off. you will need a small torx socket( i dont remember what size). There will be 4 of the torx bolts holding the lower end of that column to the base. Remove them one at a time and apply a dab of red loctite then re-install. do this on all 4 and re-assemble the column. You will not have to worry about it for a long time.

You will need to remove the steering wheel, steering lock plate and retainer, horn button connector, turn signal switch and ignition tumbler. Remove the spring cup on the tilt column with a large phillips screw driver and pull the spring out. Remove the the tilt pins on both sides and pull the upper column off. you will need a small torx socket( i dont remember what size). There will be 4 of the torx bolts holding the lower end of that column to the base. Remove them one at a time and apply a dab of red loctite then re-install. do this on all 4 and re-assemble the column. You will not have to worry about it for a long time.

i had a problem with the ignition and took ALL of that off (to the ignition) a while back. Now... i made the #1 mistake and left it like that for about a month and a half. So as you can imagine; i forgot how everything goes:???:. You seem to know a bit. Is there a diagram that i could follow to re-assemble the steering column? thnx for any advice in advance.

Mine moves up and down, it's a loose bearing on the column under the hood, near the master cylinder. The bearing is held to the column with a clip and commonly slips out of place, allowing some slop in the steering shaft.

Back