Yj water pump (pulley)

ultimag

Have a 1988 YJ(?) and a two v-belt pulley on the water pump. I need a new water pump and the water pumps I have looked at call for a single v-belt pulley or serpentine belt pulley. It has the 4.2L 6 cylinder engine. Does anyone have a part number for the correct water pump or any info to share?

The pulley on your water pump should slide off.. atleast thats how it is on my tj

Your going to have to swap the pulley regardless, so get the Vbelt pump and you will be fine. does yotu jeep have AC? sounds like someone may have added AC after the fact.

take your water pump with you to the store and have the pulley off it already. you are going to have to measure the height from the pulley mount to the bench when the wp is sitting on the bench also, make sure the orientation on the little outlet is pointing the right way. pull that outlet off too because it won;t be on the new pump.

i went through this in november. it took a few water pump boxes to be opened to find the right one. i have a 99 or 98 block in my jeep and i ended up with an 89 water pump

Thanks for the info.....knew that the pulley came off, but being new to jeeps (that's a whole story in itself), I wanted to make sure after seeing belting/pulley options. It does not have A/C, one belt runs P/S, the other runs the alternator. I will be picking your brains for more info in the future for sure. Thanks, Steve

Back