Zipper came off :(

Small Block TJ

Hey guys. Is there a trick to putting a zipper back on or am I screwed? I'm a big dude with meat hooks for hands and don't know my own strength sometimes. One of the zippers on the back window came off when it got in a bind. Can it be pried apart then pinched back on? I know about the soap lube trick but the top is only 2 months old. Any input will be appreciated.. Thanx.. SB TJ

Attachments

• image-1783176693.jpg
    image-1783176693.jpg
    449.5 KB · Views: 447

That sucks. I don't know if it's possible to get back on but do you have any kind of warranty? I'd call the company you bought it from and see if they can send you a new window.

Well, my old top was a best top and it had the zipper attached to the window. My new top is a Smittybilt and the zippers are attached to the top itself in the driver side corner :(

Attachments

• image-3213474128.jpg
    image-3213474128.jpg
    440.4 KB · Views: 445
Sorry to say but most places I have visited say they can't do anything with a broken zipper on the back and side windows.

You can try putting them back on and pinching the back. I've pinched the backs on mine at least once a year.
When you do get it fixed be sure the top is warm and pliable before you take the zipper up or down.
Also the zipper pull is a size 10 available in many material shops and possibly wmart or Michael's.

Yeah, I tend to put the top up at night after its cooled down. That's when it happened. I need to be a little more gentle i guess.. I can't stand it on when it's nice out. I see people with jeeps everywhere that never remove the top. My wife has never had her doors off.. That is crazy talk to me. Lol..

I have took my old jeep to an upholstry shop when a couple of the snaps came off, one of them completly ripped off the top leaving a hole in it. The guy was able to fix it and did so right there in the parking lot in about 5 mins and didnt charge me at all. I took my current jeep there as well with a snap issue on the top up by the windshield and again he fixed it in just a few mins with no charge (im liking this place by now, lol) I know yours isnt a snap but but these shops do work on peoples boats, classic car and so fourth. I would say one could fix your zipper pretty easy, may want to stop by a shop.

Wooooo hoooo.. Fixed the zipper.. Used needle nose pliers and soap lol.. Still took a while. It was impossible to do when I was frustrated. The zipper track got a snag in the right corner. It took a few try's, it kept messin up but finally got it. I may not take it out anymore. Just going to drop the top with it in. Guys, thanx so much for the replies. Every bit of info was useful..

The mess up in the corner could be a few things. One you put in in cold. Or you need to pinch the back of the pull a bit more. One last is look at the sewing of the sipper to see if the stitching is intact. My top right needs to be restitched and makes zippering in that corner difficult.

Good news, ya big OX....... lol...great. There was an article I read a few years back about fixing zippers, and exactly the problem you encountered. I don't know where it is, but with diligence I bet it can be re-found. I do remember an article though. Glad you got it fixed.

Glad to hear you got it fixed, if it becomes a prevalent issue another avenue would be to find a shop that specializes in repairing backpackers gear. Even in the consumer desert I live and work in there's a tiny shop that can deal with any size of zipper and she actually built the best saddlebags for my bike years ago, superior to store bought as they fit my bikes' configuration ('78 Kaw Z1R-turbo)

Back