ZJ 4.5" lift HELP!!

alaskanhawkeye

Hey new to the forum thing but I really need some help. I have a 96 Grand Cherokee V8. I am in the process of installing a 4.5" lift. Almost done but.... when I installed the new springs in the front they are soo stiff i had to unbolt my lower control arms to get them in. Now the springs are forcing the axle to the rear and i can not get the lower control arms connected. Have tried almost every thing I could think of, just not working. Please help. How can I get the axle pushed forward without removing the springs. I can always get one side but it just makes it worse for the other. I have tried lifting each side individually, together, fully installed one side then tried the other, disco'd front drive shat, disco'd upper control arms, removed track bar and sway bar, and repeated this process multiple times, please help before I start throwing wrenches through my windows.

Well I see that I have had some views,but no answers. is this not a common problem?

The problem is I have the jeep pulled into the garage and sitting on jack stands. I know I probably shouldn't have but I did put a strap around the center of the sway bar. Just not enough ass though. Thanks for the suggestion , I am about open to anything right now.

If it's pulled nose in, maybe an eyebolt into the wall in front of the jeep?

I FINALLY GOT IT!!!! I put a bottle jack between the axle and the lower control arm top mount and it straightened right up. I was pretty proud of myself for such a great idea. LOL anyway thanks for the input. and the jeep looks great.

Oh by the way Bounty Hunter, not sure if you are in the Army or not but I am in the Air Force, (crew chief on the A-10) Gotta love that HOG!!!

i had a similar problem while fixing a split bushing on my track bar. I had to use a comealong from the upper point where the track bar connects to the knuckle on the pass side front tire. I think you could prob use one from the axle to a tow point on the front of your rig. if not enough weight in your rear pockets of your pants for a comealong, maybe you could most carefully use the front mounted winch. BUT everytime i get an outstanding idea like that, i usually break something in the process.

winch sounds like a good idea. But i thought i had a good idea yesterday and i ripped the torsion bar links right out of the torsion bar. OOPS. Just give me an excuse to buy some new quick discos. don't tell the wife though. lol

Oh by the way Bounty Hunter, not sure if you are in the Army or not but I am in the Air Force, (crew chief on the A-10) Gotta love that HOG!!!
I was, stationed at Ft. Lewis next to McChord AFB. Enjoyed the A10 support at NTC in Death Valley one hot august.

Back