Best spot for Hi-Lift

MerkL

What's the best spot to mount a Hi-Lift on a YJ? My bumper is not finished yet so I can't mount it there. I don't really want to disassemble it, like I've seen some guys do, I'd rather have it together whenever I need it. Open to any other suggestions.

where to get a drive shaft?

you could always bolt into to the fender wells on the inside of the jeep. you might want to ditich the rear seat tho.or you can mount it the roll bars.

your best bet is to finish building your rear bumber and than figure out where you want to put it...you can go vertical or horizantal with it on the rear bumper.

mount it inside if you can. Or verticle off the back....Not low off the bumpers, It will be the first thing to get hit..

Factory service manual for 1980 cj7 **SOLD**

Well,

I went to a welding shop and had the sparkman weld me a couple of cradles to the front bumper where I carry mine across the winch.

They look sorta like a couple of Y's side by side.

4WPW sells 2 brackets made by hi-lift and you can mount these brackets whereever you see fit.

I have seen guys mount em low, across the rear bumper under the spare,
Upright along the roll bar. I have seen em upright along the side of the spare on the swing away tire carrier too.

I like mine up front ready for action.

Don't mount it to the bumper, seen too many ripped off and stuck 2ft into the ground. Mount inside if possible, then it's more likely to work right when you need it, instead of being gummed up. They are finicky and like thier lubrication, so out of the elements is best.

Here's mine mounted with two muffler clamps and two wingnuts, easy and quick to get to, and always works.
image-missing.png

I had mine mounted on the front bumper, than had to move it to the back bumper, then last night I picked up some metal to make a stand up carier. I will test it in moab in a few weeks and if it holds I will post some pictures, I forgot how heavy they are when selecting the metal. (not enough room in a CJ5 to mount it inside.)

I like that setup Bounty. How is your base held in? I couldn't tell if it was bolted through or if it was just siting up.

Before I had some mounts welded into the cage I would just jam it in behind the seats. It went in easily. Just tie it down so when you roll it doesn't knock your block off.

:roll: I'd say anywhere BUT the bumper, specifically the rear is a good place. Up in the jeep itself is even better.

Mine is on the rear bumper and it was damaged (bent) the FIRST run I took it on (Pictures on my website). I'm sure it's fine, but still its bent so obviously it's going to be in the way.

I'd like to put mine up behind the rear seat somehow.

Lady

I had mine mounted on the stock rear bumper. All it took was 1 good mudhole and it ripped right off. Now it's just sitting inside the back of the Jeep, not bolted, but on top of the wheel wells. I saw a new item in Quadratec or 4wd Hardware that are brackets that mount to the hood hinges and you can mount your jack there. I think that's the way I'm gonna go.

Re: Thanks, all...

I drilled a hole in the baseplate and slipped it over the bolt before the wingnut. I then used a pin similar to that found on many quick-disconnects to mount the baseplate quickly.

I just put mine across the very rear of the back. fits perfectly inbetween the roll bar and oposite fender.

Bounty Hunter's system makes as much sence as any does. Nice out of the way for the most part. Dry and ez to get to. What more could you ask. tug

I saw a new item in Quadratec or 4wd Hardware that are brackets that mount to the hood hinges and you can mount your jack there. I think that's the way I'm gonna go.
Yeah...the hood of that TJ will look much better with some deep gouges left by the Hi-Lift as you try to mount it up there by yourself. Forget about letting the windshield down either.

Yeah, I like Bounty's setup, it's out of the way, and keeps it from the elements. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

redrooster said:
I saw a new item in Quadratec or 4wd Hardware that are brackets that mount to the hood hinges and you can mount your jack there. I think that's the way I'm gonna go.
Yeah...the hood of that TJ will look much better with some deep gouges left by the Hi-Lift as you try to mount it up there by yourself. Forget about letting the windshield down either.

Well, it wouldn't matter on my Jeep anyway. I can't ever put the windshield down because the CB rack is bolted to the windshield frame and the roll bar. I could see the part about the gouges though.

Back