Leak coming in from dashboard

Payton14

Hey all, I am new to this site today so feel free to yell at me if I do something wrong.
My problem is this, I have a 2002 jeep wrangler and it has a water leak that seems to be coming in from where the windshield meets the dash board. The water comes in pretty heavy when I am driving and it is raining. It seems to be leaking only on the drivers side, but when it does leak it drips on my feet and the water is actually running down all the eletrical wires behind the dash board. I speculate that it is coming from a bad seal somwhere on the dash, but if anybody else has had this problem and has any advice, I woud really like to hear what you have to say. Please feel free to contact me at PJGarbarino@yahoo.com. Thanks
Payton

RE: anything else?

Welcome, Payton! Not much yelling goes on here........unless, of course you wanna start talkin' politics, religion, or abortion ( :shock: :mrgreen: ). One reason why I like this site. But you are speaking Jeep problems, so you'll get nothing but helpful, or humorous, or totally useless suggestions, but everybody'll be tryin' to help!! Except for me right now, 'cause I haven't experienced that (yet) with my '03 ( :? ).......Sorry, but stick around - I'm sure there's help comin'!

mud

welcome! - i had that prob w/my old 91 - mainly after discovering how much i liked folding the windshield down - more than likely its the seal under the frame - check it - i replaced mine (with some closed cel foam weatherstrip) and it stopped it pretty well! - just my 2cents ... i'm sure you'll have pretty good luck here! (ive gotten LOTS of good/fun/dangerous ideas here!)

Thanks all, I will give it look tomorrow (weather pending). Boy, you guys are quick. Thanks again for the help.

We may not always be right or politically correct, but yeah, we're quick!

Likely cause:
On the older Wranglers, there was a drain tube that drained water from the cowl (the grate-covered air intake for the defroster) between the windsheld and the hood. The black drain tube is under the hood up at the firewall. There is a slit at the bottom which allows rainwater to drain out. If this tube becomes clogged, water will back up and do exactly what you described.

I'm not sure if the newer style (TJ) Wranglers have this same setup, but if they do I bet that is your problem. Mine was full of leaves, pine needles and dead bugs. Cleaned it out - problem solved. Easy, free fix :wink:

other possibilities:
1. You installed some mirror or light brackets on the windshield mounts and they are not sealed anymore
2. You put the windshield down and it is not seated or sealed properly
3. Your top leaks at the windshield channel

By the way, my best friend is from East Lyme !

My 93 started to leak just under the windshield frame seal where the horizontal part of the body behind the hood goes vertical up towards the windshield (kinda hard to explain). There is seam sealer inbetween the body panels which cracks over time (quicker if you're twisting the body off road). I ran a bead of silicone along mine and it's been good ever since.

Ladies and Gents, I took down the windshield and gave my seals a look-see. I spotted the problem right away. The rubber seal that meets the dashboard and the windshield (which is supposed to keep water out) was not tight. The weight of the windshield was not enough to make a good seal so the rubber was about a quater of an inch off its mark. Thereby allowing tons of water in. I ran some silicone around it and let it dry for a couple of days. It rained yesterday...I drove it to work and I am happy to say that she held out the water.

Thanks again for everyones input, it was real helpful, plus it was great to fix it myself rather than going to a shop...I am glad that I found this site.

I have the same problem, every time I make a right turn up to a mile after it rains my shin gets soaked. Will check out those tips tomorrow, thanks!

RE: Someone upstairs has a strange sense of humor

That is exactly what my poblem was, my feet were getting wet every time is rained. But it only seemed to leak when I was driving. I think it is because the force of the wind was pushing the water up into the spot where the windshild meets the dashboard. This will all be much clearer once you take down your windshield and see for your self. Good luck.

Back