Gas Tank Leak

jay79cj7

Best 6 or 6.5 Lift for 94 sport xj?

I filled up the tank last night and the garage smelled like gas this morn. I can see some drip marks running down the side of the tank, coming from the top. I am pretty sure that there is a leak around where the return line enters the tank on top, and it can splash around a little gets out with the tank out. When I had the tank out during the rebuild I noticed that the fitting could move around a little, but it had never been a problem before...

I am going to have to drop the tank to get to it. Is there some kind of adhesive/sealant or something that is effective to seal this up? Assuming that I am right, it isn't going to have to hold pressure or anything, just basically fill up the small gap to keep it from splashing out.

u could maybe drop the tank, disconnect pull the sending unit. dry the gas off of it and solder around it. or you could braze it if both parts are steel or steel alloy. JB weld may be a good candidate if you dont want to pull the sending unit. best of luck.
od

RE: Re: RE: Jeepy!!!

Just look at what's going on on top of the tank. I know of a few instances where the rubber hose section to the sender was leaking, including mine on my YJ. You'll see the tracks or stains where ever it's leaking.

Back