TJ GEARs

greenjeepin

Okay so im pretty new to the jeep world i have a 98 TJ sport i put 35's on it and i want to redue the gears i was wondering what type of axle do i have and should i go to a 4.56 or 4.88

RE: 4wd won

standard or automatic, 4cyl or 6cyl, rear axle oval or funky shaped. From there people can help you out with your question

First let me ask what type of rear axle do you have? Go to this site http://www.californiajeeper.com/axle.htm and find out what rear axle do you have.
A Dana 35 or a Dana 44.
Either way your going to have to change your carrier to go to 3:93+ gears, since your present carriers will not hold these larger gears.
Also do think about if this Jeep is your daily driver. Most tire/gear chats recomend going to 4:10's with 35's to give you your gas milage back and 4:56's for better off road perfomence. 4:88's will be better off road performance but your gas milage...well .
Personally I run 4:10's with 35's and get 15.7 MPG and trust a 4 low kit to get me over the rough spots.
I hope this answers some.

If it's got 3.55 or lower gears in it already, you won't need to change the carrier in the D35 to run a 4-series gear.

Dealership is trying to pull one over

You're both right, 3.73 and lower for the front axle to use the same carrier, and 3.55 and lower for the rear axle (if it's a D35).

Check the tag on your axle (attached with diff cover bolt) and let us know what the numbers are. That'll tell your axle ratio and help us help you choose a new ratio.

Back