Stalling, low idle

Joopin

Super Moderator
Jeep: 91 YJ 4.0 5spd

Problem:
Stalls or comes close to it when taken out of gear and rolling to a stop. Drops below 5k rpms, should be around 10 at idle.

Notes: Have a hand throttle I pull to keep it from stalling out, idle is fine once kept from stalling.

Solution: ?

Here is what the haynes manual says:
Engine Stalls -
1. Idle speed incorrect
2. fuel filter clogged and or water impurities in the fuel system.
3. choke not operating properly
4. damged or wet distributor cap and wires
5. emissions system componets faulty
6. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs, also check wires.
7. Vacuum leak at the carburetor, intake manifold, or vacuum hoses.

Could be some bad gas as well have you tried to put some carb cleaner in your tank. I had the same problem a while back it quit after i filled up at a different station.

Nick

my friend had the same problem with his jeep, but his was a lot older. he had some grime settle in the tank and it clogged the fuel lines. he used something called "HEAT" he picked up at auto zone or advanced..... it cleared it right up. good luck.

It's probably nothing to do with plugs, wires, cap... those are all fairly new and of high quality. It does happen more when it is cold but when it is warm it doesn't stop happening, just less often. There are no missfires at all either. It is a fuel injected engine, so probably not a vaccum leak. As far as I know, the fuel filter has never been changed, perhaps it is that. I do have that HEAT stuff actually, little yellow bottle with blue letters right?

sicnik said:
Here is what the haynes manual says:
Engine Stalls -
3. choke not operating properly
7. Vacuum leak at the carburetor, intake manifold, or vacuum hoses.
Nick
We're talking about a fuel injected vehicle here.

I'd start by removing the throttle body and its sensors, and give the TB a good bench cleaning. Replace the fuel filter as well.

Let us know how it runs afterwards.

Joopin said:
Jeep: 91 YJ 4.0 5spd

Problem:
Stalls or comes close to it when taken out of gear and rolling to a stop. Drops below 5k rpms, should be around 10 at idle.

5,000 RPM.......that IS a problem!!!!!

JK. I agree with Bounty....a good cleaning couldn't hurt.

Check all of the pullies too , just in case. my girlfriends xj did the same thing, i couldnt figure out what it was until about a week later i heard a loud taping. the bering on the idler pully went out. i fixed it and no more staling.

Wade said:
Check all of the pullies too , just in case. my girlfriends xj did the same thing, i couldnt figure out what it was until about a week later i heard a loud taping. the bering on the idler pully went out. i fixed it and no more staling.

That could be the cause of my rattling/whining noise too. How difficult is it to change the idler pully? Never had to do that yet. I'll look in my Haynes.

Back